Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a small cargo trailer to pull behind the Wing. Does anyone have experience as to what and what not to buy???

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I have a piggy backer that I pull, used it mostly on my Harley but have also used it with my wing. Great trailer for the price and I don't even know it's back there.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Lots of Wingers pull Bushtec's. I had a Tiny Mite tent trailer for the 1200 and 1500 and it pulled like a dream.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
There are so many different trailers out there, you can spend from $800 to over $5,000 depending on what you want. Bushtec and Escapade are great trailers, a little on the upper price scale but they are nice. Cyclemate makes a nice trailer that is less expensive.
You might try looking at a used one, if it's the color you need than thats a plus. painting one could cost about $700 if you have some one do it.
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=0&oq=motorcycle+cargo&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS360US360&q=motorcycle+cargo+trailers

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Great trailer for the price and I don't even know it's back there.
Once you go over a toll bridge you will notice it back there, you will be charged for a 3 axle vehicle. BTDT

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Joe you might be right, but we don't have toll roads in this part of the country :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Don't buy the chinese import trailers on ebay. Fit and Finish are NOT two words used to describe them. If I were in the market I would buy a used name brand. Also, if you want to truly color match the paint go to USPaint Corp. They are the ones that supplied the paint to Honda to paint your wing to begin with. Takes about a quart, time you add catalyst, reducer, clear expect to spend alittle over $300.00 for the paint.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Got the Tote-lite trailer from motorcycletrailer.com about a month ago. Aluminum frame, with chrome wheels and torsion bar suspension on it.

It has essentially what is just a car top cargo carrier mounted on top of it. That part is reasonably flimsy. It would be an easy change to mount an aluminum cargo box on top. I removed the brackets which held lid open, and replaced them with cable so that I can fully open and access the interior.

I wired it using the kit included. You cannot just run wiring through holes in metal. Grommets were not included. I used silicone seal to make sure the wires were not touching metal, and used nylon ties to secure the wiring tightly.

LED lights are very bright and stand out. Frame welds look pretty good. Steel axle with torsion bars works excellent. Slight hops on rough pavement unloaded. Very good ride with a load in it. Tracks dead straight with no weaving The hub assembly appears good quality and the wheels as well.

You get what you pay for. I wanted an inexpensive entry level trailer. I saw their other units at a rally in Nevada. Fit and finish very good. I could have bought a cheaper unit from Harbor Freight with smaller wheels. But, this thing tows 85 mph with no issues at all and you do not know it is back there. The extreme cheapo units have very small wheels that may be rated for no more than 55 mph. And, in my opinion, leaf springs will not deliver a smooth ride with a light load.

Regards,

Dart

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advise, I wound up with an "Alumilite". It looks very similar to the "Tote Lite". LED lights, aluminum wheels, even a spare, a heavy duty luggage rack on top and a platform for an ice chest on the front. Pulls like a dream....$2000.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts