Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I am about to take the leap and buy a goldwing. Searching the area around idaho I came up with some but nothing that really caught my eye or budget.

I was trying not to get too much on the money thing and trying to stay say within the 2500 range and maybe a older vintage bike.

Well I found a 1200 84 which was about that 34000 miles some paint scratches and the seat wasnt too great but he had rewired the stator or soldered the wires together and the maintanace wasnt too bad.

Then I ran into a 1986 1200 95000 miles well under budget looked almost new great paint job and looked really clean.

Then I ran into a 1994 1500 which has 83000 which was well under budget about the same as the 86 1200 but it was brought from the coast and there was some corrosion on the muffler which the owner said would clean off but the engine guards had major pitting on them, the seat was badly torn and there was rust on the rear armrest metal arms. The bike was red and was left outside. The luggage back carrier he said was faded as well as the right rear corner from sitting in the sun. The rest of the bike looked clean but would need some repair. Said it ran great and the cheapest 94 1500 I have seen so far.

I found a 85 1200 the gold colored one with fuel injection which is under budget didnt look bad 64000 miles but needs fork seals and rear brake cylinder serviced. This one would be a long haul to get back as it was in colorado

Well I have read a ton about the stator failures and am pretty cautious about the 1200 series as the honda shop here charges a arm and a leg for this repair.

Anyways I need some opinions on what some of you would choose out of these four and why. Or maybe which ones to stay away from.

thanks
t6

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
I am a bit baised to the 1200 1984. It has low miles and is in your area. Most people on here will say to go with a 1500. They were made from 1988-2000 so more parts available. You can get a real cruise control and eccessories and a reverse.
But the 1200 is still a great bike and I knew about the stator on the 1200's and still brought one. I have a report on this forum between the 1200 and the 1500 and in the summary the 1500 gets the nod. (I have a 1200 in Australia and a 1500 in the USA which I road across the USA on.)

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
I am a bit baised to the 1200 1984. It has low miles and is in your area. Most people on here will say to go with a 1500. They were made from 1988-2000 so more parts available. You can get a real cruise control and eccessories and a reverse.
But the 1200 is still a great bike and I knew about the stator on the 1200's and still brought one. I have a report on this forum between the 1200 and the 1500 and in the summary the 1500 gets the nod. (I have a 1200 in Australia and a 1500 in the USA which I road across the USA on.)
+1 with what Eric has said the 1500 is a great bike but it looks like the 1200 will be a great bike for you for a long time and with parts you can find most on e bay or the web.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
The rust or corrosion on the 1500 wouldn't be a major concern as the parts you described can be replaced. The miles on any of them are of no major concern as they will last 200K and beyond. If the 1500 is priced below $2,500, it is a good deal, unless the frame has rust damage.

The fuel injected 1200s tended to have problems. Honda dumped the injection until they brought out the 1800s.

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
the fuel injected 1200 is also some 40lbs heavier than a non injected 1200 with no increace in power. if i were buying another 1200 wing it would have carbs but the 1500 while it weighs more has more room, i don't feel cramped for space. take a test ride on each if you can and welcome to GWOF

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Sometimes you need to be a careful buying an older Goldwing with low mileage. They can potentially be an issue with them sitting up for extended periods.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the info and replys guys! I am leaning towards the 1500 wing. Got it down to around 2000 bucks so even with the bad seat and engine guards I dont think I will get hurt to bad on the deal.

t6

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
thanks for all the info and replys guys! I am leaning towards the 1500 wing. Got it down to around 2000 bucks so even with the bad seat and engine guards I dont think I will get hurt to bad on the deal.

t6
Be sure to ride it and ask if they kept any maintenance records. It kind of like asking for a carfax for a motorcycle.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Test Ride -

Hey Teamster, No matter which bike you decide on make sure to ride it long enough for everything to warm up to operating temperature from a stone cold start. Briskly run through the gears to make sure the shifting forks inside the transmission are not bent and to make sure it doesn't pop out of gear under acceleration. Safely give the handle bars a shake from side to side while heading down a straight road to make sure there is no movement in the yoke bearings. Naturally, check over the basics - water in the oil, radiator coolant, brake system operation, charging voltage, lights, signals, tires, etc.....Personally, I inspect the rear suspension for wear or noise especially if there is a trailer hitch installed. Some owners have a tendency to lug the drive-train (rather than downshift) while pulling a large trailer up a mountain grade.

A bike that has been sitting for a while is not necessarily one to avoid. Overall most Goldwings have proven to be pretty well bullet proof when given reasonable maintenance. Even an older model with a little rust here and there can still give you many miles of carefree riding once you have brought it back up to spec's.

Good Luck, Michael :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I looked back on the 94 1500 and its a darn interstate. Totaling up what I would replace Im already at 874 bucks looking around this thing does not have any reverse. With replaceing things im almost at a price to just pick a really decent one that I dont have to work on.

Guess I should have popped the 86 1200 its gone now and it was a butte nice bike.

Can any body tell me if these bikes have that bad of suspension with out the air. I have been looking and you can put air shocks on the back of them or they sell them.

The 1200 series dont have reverse gear either so are the 94's about 100 pounds heavier really that bad without the reverse??

t6

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
I don't know where you're located, but a member of this forum has a GL1500 for sale.
Have you seen his post?
It could be what you want and the price is right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know where you're located, but a member of this forum has a GL1500 for sale.
Have you seen his post?
It could be what you want and the price is right.
thanks for the heads up trikelady unfortunately I am in Idaho and the bike in question is in tenn. :mad:

Looks like to me to find a decent one I will have to go for quite the ride away from idaho

t6

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Teamster, lots of 1200 owners have swapped out the air shocks for conventional and are very happy with the results. A 1200 with the stator fix is still an excellent motorcycle in all respects. I personally thought the seat on the 1200 sucked, but it lasted me for over 8 years and a whack of saddle time and mileage with just a faux sheepskin added. I changed my fork springs to Progressives at about 60,000 and got rid of the worn stock fork brace and went with a Superbrace with great results. If I'd known about the hard wired stator fix, it would have saved me likely two stator replacements and some major coin too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes I saw that add locally its about 50 miles from me.

I was laughing at the nada motorcycle values on honda goldwings.

In Very good condition it shows a 1985 1200 interstate is worth more in very good condition than the 1988 1500.

It also shows the premier models of 1985 and 1986 being worth less money than the interstate models.

HOw in the world can that be?????

t6

·
Registered
835 Posts
Experience and/or Opinion

I was laughing at the nada motorcycle values on honda goldwings.
t6

Hey Teamster, Everyone recognizes that the published values for any Goldwing is a calculation used to take into account the age, mileage, model, added equipment, overall condition, etc.... but also such things as the accident rate (crotch rocket), insurance costs, usage (police) and sometimes even location. For example: Bikes in New York typically have low mileage but can be exposed to rain washed road salt. The number of reported maintenance problems and factory recalls are sometimes part of the mix as well. If you throw in two or more people with different attitudes and experience who are putting the stats together - out comes exactly the recommended pricing numbers you pointed out.

Most potential Goldwing owners have found that a forum like this one is usually the best source for the latest pricing data and recommended models.

Good Luck, Michael

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.