Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in the last 3 years I have purchased 7 crashed wings. I saw a 400 item list here of all the things to check related to buying a used motorcycle and I just had to chuckle. What I look for is, how much will it cost to repair and is it a junk title or a flood. Other than that there is nothing to be concerned about. The 1800's are at least a 99.9% safe bet as far as mechanical regardless of oil or any maintenance or lack of. I like the 01 - 16 models as used parts are plentiful and cheap. One thing people don't understand is how titles work. The title is a matter of the insurance company and the adjusters opinion. I have purchased totally crushed motorcycle that have a clear title and one that had a scratch on the front fender and titles as "junk"
Junk is bad as that means it can never be re-titles or put back in service unless the frame is replaced. Other than that It just doesn't matter

·
Registered
26 Posts
R u getting a collection of Wings or reselling for profit?
Sounds interesting to me. Being a retired gearhead and living in the Adirondack's where the winters are looong buying a project bike could be a great way to keep busy through the winter.

My friend hit a deer early this summer with his Wing. He knocked the deer about 50 ft and kept it upright. Later I looked up all of the parts and it was all cosmetic plastics and headlight , around $2k in parts. He put another 3k. Miles on it and rode it home to VA. When he brought it to the bike shop they wanted to total it!! But he is getting it fixed.

Picking up something like that would be a great winter project!

Where do you find crashed bikes? Are the prices good enough to make some profit reselling?
Not looking to make a killing.

Reactions: Luv2fish

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mainly for resale although the two I just bought are for my own personal use. typically you can figure buying for 50% of bluebook so money can be made. I buy from several salvage outlets (not Copart) and insurance auctions. At most of these you will need a dealers license

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Make sure you check with the laws in your State as to salvage, junk or reconstructed titles. In Oregon a junk vehicle can not be titled, so if the vehicle was classified as junk then it is just that. There are a number of conditions that have to be met for Oregon to allow a reconstructed, assembled or salvage title vehicle to be granted a titled vehicle for road use. Again check with your States DMV laws.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is wise to avoid junk title unless you know the work around. I have only done one Junker and it took almost a year to get a clear title. Any other title is fine although some people will get a bit hyper over a salvage title as most people don't understand it's essentially a non-issue.

·
Super Moderator
11,951 Posts
True here in Washington, any kind of marked title and buyers freak out.

Reactions: Luv2fish

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
I would have sold you my 2008 Pearl White with 82,000 miles on her, but the insurance company offered me near $11,000 for it.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's crazy how little it takes for an insurance company to salvage out a bike. The blue 2005 I just bought has a cracked front fender and some damage to the right lower fairing. Pretty cheap fix. Runs great just like one would expect but it does have a bunch of crud I have to remove like backrest, floorboards, and other detractors but once cleaned up should be a winner. It's weird picking these up as they don't roll them onto the trailer they hoist them up with a huge forklift and drop them on the trailer. It's cringe worthy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts