Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at buying a 95 GW SE. It has 47000 miles on it. I've looked it over well. No scratches, everything works, has new tires, custom tool kit, several chrome accesories, electric grips, rear arm rest, back rest, trunk spoiler and rack, and cover. It runs smooth. The only flaw I could find was the storage flap on the left side has a broken snap. This Wing has been taken care of well. The seller is asking 7300 bottom line for it. What are your thoughts???????

·
Registered
263 Posts
Does that include a full tank of fuel? (just kidding) In my opinion,go for it. Wings that nice with that low of mileage,with the other goodies are starting to get rare.One thing for sure,you won't regret it. Also,a new one would cost you near 3 times that amount.Ken '94SE Pearl White

·
Super Moderator
28,439 Posts
Parman sounds like a decent deal to me. I love my 95 & that mileage is good. You can fix the storage cover with a small bit of ingenuity I'm sure. If the bike calls you "Go for It". Enjoy the ride & be safe.

·
Super Moderator
9,846 Posts
If the bike looks good and you are satisified with it and the price, go for it. There are certainly a lot of miles left in it. I would ask if he has maintance records of what was done and when, including oil changes and fluid changes. That will also help to know how well the bike was maintained. Enjoy your new Wing and ride safe..

·
Premium Member
23,768 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my 1800. It's my first Wing. There is just something about a 1500 ..............

·
Registered
515 Posts
Parman, I bought my 2000SE in Jan '08 with 84,000 on the clock, now pushing 111,000 (oil change is coming up). Yes I had a issue or two that happened down the road, but NO Regrets! I agree with TW, maintenance records would be a benefit, but as solid as these bikes are, short of pulling the plugs and air filter, you can almost just look at the bike and tell if it has been taken care of . Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
263 Posts
OK Whacker,you opened the door,what were those issues you had? Were they preventable or just in the crap happens category?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Parman,

I’m not an expert, but have been doing a lot of shopping and it seems like a fair price by your description of the bike. The 47K miles on it is no big thing. There should be LOTS of good riding left in it. As much as I liked my Suzuki’s and Yamaha’s, all my past Honda’s were the most dependable and durable bikes I ever owned. They just kept going and going.

Dane :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Last August I got a 97 SE with 21,000 miles in excellent condition for $8,000. I've put 16,000 miles on it with no problems. I bought a new rear tire right away & had new air & fuel filters but that's it.
Sounds like a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
515 Posts
drmcmtru, I figure it was in the crap happens catagory. 91,000 splines broke off the drive shaft at the final drive, also found a torn dust boot on the air shock. 96,000 oil seals in the final drive were replaced. All under warranty, no out of pocket.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Glad your used bike warranty took care of it for you.I guess the spline issue really made you glad you had it. Hope it didn't strand you far from home.Mine's at 119k and doing well,knock on tupperware.

·
Registered
515 Posts
My mechanic showed me the shaft and cover tube, its a dry enviornment, no maintenance shown in the manuals. It was pretty nasty, like letting an iron pipe sit in water and dry out. He suspected that it was never greased, even from the factory...theres moly on it now.

·
Registered
691 Posts
My 95A has 156,000.00 miles on it and burns no oil, leaks no coolant (I replaced all hoses and tubes last year) has good compresion and runs like a dream.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Goldwings are legendary for their longevity (as are most Hondas), but I've heard of the spline thing a few times. Anyone considering a 1500 should be conscious of this. No reason to shy away from these fine bikes, just be cautious and check it out before you lay down the coin.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I closed the deal and picked up the GW yesterday. Crappy day to pick it up. Cool only 43-46 degrees yesterday. Managed to ride in sun, rain, and sleet :eek:yesterday before getting it home. Only in Wis and IL. can you get all seasons in one day. Bought the bike in Wis and brought it back to IL. Runs great. I can see putting a lot of miles on it in the future. I really like it.
My son went with me and rode his Honda Shadow. I let him ride the GW for a little while and he stopped at the local Honda dealer and is trying to close a deal on a GW now. He got spoiled on mine when he saw how well it protected him from the rain and wind.
He thought he wanted a Harley until he rode my Wing.

·
Super Moderator
28,439 Posts
Great Parman, Now you can ride the wheels of it. Cool that you got a convert in the process as well. Good Luck & ride safe.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have logged a little over 900 miles on it. Runs great. I have gone through it and everything checks out good. I do have one question. On the left side of the fairing I took the storage pouch off and found a extra plug on the wiring harness. Can someone tell me what its used for. I found it after reading the owners manual but it really doesn't say what you can use it for.

·
Registered
515 Posts
probably a green plug, there is a factory plug under both fairing pockets that allow you to light the fairing side markers. You have to purchase the light string. With another set of wiring you can make the markers flash with the turn signals. There is a similiar set of plugs in the trunk to light the trunk sides. No fixtures to buy, Honda has already provided the sockets for the bulbs, you just have to purchase the lights. Don't know why they didin't come lit, just a way for someone else to make a few bucks.

·
Super Moderator
28,439 Posts
Whacker has it right. As a matter of fact I did put them in fore & aft. They do make different ones that have more lights where you change the lens, but I opted for just the lights. I like them, illuminates the bike better from the side if you do a lot of 4 lane travel (which we do). "Better for the cages to see you my dear." Now wait a minute that's from a childrens story. Anyway here is the link from wingstuff. They are pretty cheap as well.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/247_Lighting_Accessories/3269_GL1500_Fairing_Side_Marker_Light_Kit/?goto=/pgroup_list/gl1500/247_goldwing_Lighting_Accessories/des/?page=6

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/247_Lighting_Accessories/3363_GL1500_Accessories_Showchrome_Trunk_Side_Light_Kit/?goto=/pgroup_list/gl1500/247_goldwing_Lighting_Accessories/des/?page=7

1 - 20 of 20 Posts