Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A gentleman I know recently purchased a gizmo off the internet from what he thought was a legitimate company. The item turned out to be useless and didn't work as claimed. When he called the phone number to get a return authorization he was shocked when the person on the other end said, 'Subway, may I take your order' and he later 'googled' the address it was indeed for a Subway restaurant. The address used to order the item was a P.O. Box and trust me he has contacted the attorney general and the postal inspector in that state to find out who the person/or person's behind this worthless part are.
Please people be careful who you order from and buy from reputable companies, like those who sponsor this website.
There are Nigerian Scams, people scamming to sell a bike that doesn't exist for a low ball price or useless junk that doesn't work.
Buyer Beware

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
"Доверяй, но проверяй" ( Trust,but verify.) ~ Russian proverb. This is the internet , and sometimes referred to as just the " net ".

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I received an e-mail about 'Phishing' and that scammers are posing as banks telling you that there system went down and they need to have your information to reestablish their files. Told my bank about it as they were using the Chase name and asking for info.

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friend. The bad people in this world are in the minority, but they affect a lot of good people. I purchase off the internet but always search for a review of that company first. So far I've been lucky. Sometimes it feels better to pay more and visit a local store, also helps the local economy.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Sometimes it feels better to pay more and visit a local store, also helps the local economy.
Mark, I couldn't agree more. I say that although it's ashame people get scammed I for one have a hard time feeling sorry for the "cheapskates" of the world looking for that "low" price. Sometimes you just get what you deserve when you buy something that appears to be a great price. If it seems to be such a great deal that "it's almost to good to be true" then it most likely is.

I say wise up & stop being cheap.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I've not been scammed, but then again, I tend to be rather sceptical when it comes to sales from individuals online. Even eBay has turned into scammer central these days.

Oh, and I love the phishing messages that tell me that my Chase bank account has been compromised. Maybe I should tell them that I don't have a Chase account? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The scams are endless!
Recently responded to an obvious scam just to see what I could find out.
Low ball price on a Wing/Trike.
Trike was "ready to ship" from a location in Mooresville, In.
Remit payment to a "escrow" account.
Bike will ship.
Once received and OK'd, money would be transferred from escrow to the seller.
Told seller I was within 1hr travel time to Mooresville. Give me the name/address of storage location. I will visit in person and if bike is acceptable, I will pay cash on the spot!
Sellers cell phone # was located in New York City. Sellers IP from his computer came back to London England!
Needless to say, after my message about how close I was to the bikes location, there was no more contacts from the "seller".
Contacted E-bay and more or less was told they take care of these scams themselves and my help was not needed. Nor would I receive any info about the outcome of their "investigation!

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
None of us likes to see anyone get scammed, butit hurst that much more when it's someone you know. PT Barnum said "there's one born every minute" and he wrote the book on scam artistry. We all need to be very cautious when we purchase things away from the box store. There's snakes in the grass, you have to beat the grass first.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I stay away from vendors at rallies, internet ads that are not from reputable dealers, Craislist and e-bay. I prefer to buy local when possible or from well known companies.
Who ever the person is they are a scammer selling a worthless product. I googled the address and it is indeed a Subway Restaurant in a strip mall. I wonder how many complaints the Subway received about this bogus product.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was in the post office this morning and overheard a conversation on a part that one gentleman purchased and how he got taken by the seller. I thought back to the gentleman on this forum who purchased a seat and never got it. The person who bought the electronic 'Wizzmo-gizmo that didn't work, the bait and switch GL-1800 alternators and countless other scams. I'm starting think that there are people out there trying to or are taking advantage of Goldwing owners. It's sad when it happens to people you know and those you don't know but who are affected by it. I wonder how these scammers sleep at night?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
hi trike

Trike Im sure all scammers, liars and cheats sleep just fine. They sleep as well as any other rat. It is a miserable deal. All of us have to be very aware when we answer any ad, or solicitation or invite on the i net. Me, I have my filters wound down tight. If you aren't in my contacts your e mail goes to junk mailbox. Now and then I look through junk to see if any friendly stuff was misplaced. Even with this I get trash in inbox.

Not only are there rats out there but they are clever. Each of us might have a small network of friends whom we phone call before we answer an e mail solicitacion. During that call talk over with a trusted friend what you are about to do etc. At least a person will clearly think over the offer and terms. The rat population is out there and thinking up new ploys every day.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The product this one gentleman found for the useless electronic wizzmo-gizmo was on the internet. I think its lousy that when you call for customer service you get the local Subway. Whoever the person is will eventually get caught. You are correct that people should have a circle of friends in which call and ask for help. My 'Spam' folder has more oddball Nigerian scams than you can imagine; I have a relative that had a business in some country and their name and mine almost match and well you know the rest of the story, I delete it. I know an older gentleman with a trike and he was having a problem with it, so he followed what was posted and when he did what was suggested his trike went from running bad to worse to not running. I wish he would have asked before he did that. I am beginning to believe that these people are not thieves some of them are down right malicious. I'm glad I can think for myself, I shop at reputable companies and if it looks like a bargain it's not, and if its going to cure the bike's ailments it won't. The internet if used correctly is great if you're careful, costly if you are not. I always hope when they find the people stateside doing this that they spend time in jail and are forced to get a real job instead of being on a computer selling fake products and/or misrepresented products.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
rats

Hi Trikey,

All well here. Good response with "buy from reputable companys". I agree and there, buy brand name only items. To me a "deal" is a brand name item marked down for clearance or change of season or even occasionally a promotion. Did you know, most people don't know the difference between a sale and a promotion?

A deal is NOT some gadget-widget with limited use by a company unknown for a "great" price. That is bs and much of that ends up on the i net. Grandpa said, if its to good to be true it is. Don't be a sucker. I told my son once "if it costs more than $1000 or takes more than a year to pay off, talk to legal aid first. Its darned sure cheaper than talking to them second, besides lawyers hate whiners.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
I have a bright new baseball!

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did a little digging into the company that made the electronic Wizzmo-gizzmo and on 9-10-2010, they went bye-bye. Now I understand why people were given the false address and telephone number. I hope they are smart and contacted the consumer affairs department, postal inspector and attorney general.

Be smart and buy from reputable companies
Word of wisdom from Trike Lady

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
baseball Signed

I have a baseball.....signed by the Shiek of Araby!

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
I also have a Hockey puck signed by Mark Recchi.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts