Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was time for the 4,000 mile service on the 2012 Wing, so rather than stumble through installing a new Bushtec trailer hitch myself, I had the dealer take care of it.
I am concerned however about the wiring harness. It doesn't seem like it is installed in a secure manner.

How have others secured the wiring plug in while not hauling the trailer?
Is anyone else concerned with this mounting method, or is it just me?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Well it certainly looks like it would be prone to flopping about and subject to wear issues. Wouldn't likely be a problem when hooked up to the trailer but I'd figure something out for when not pulling. I used the round 5 pin plugs on both my trailers and they were bolted right to the hitch. Even a zip tie would protect the plug from flopping, but that's a band-aid not a permanent fix. Kinda lame looking too:(

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Budoka.
I am visioning some kind of metal strap to secure the connector back to the bottom edge of the hitch. Far enough back so that it is not visible without the hitche installed. I am sure there will be plenty of slack coming from the trailer.
I will post a pic of what I come up with.
Looks like a trip to the auto parts store and just walking around until something calls out to me.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
Don't pull a trailer but that is cheesy. Is that connector water proof ? I think you need a moment of inspiration.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
It was time for the 4,000 mile service on the 2012 Wing, so rather than stumble through installing a new Bushtec trailer hitch myself, I had the dealer take care of it.
I am concerned however about the wiring harness. It doesn't seem like it is installed in a secure manner.

How have others secured the wiring plug in while not hauling the trailer?
Is anyone else concerned with this mounting method, or is it just me?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Could you tell me where you got that ball set-up? I need to raise my trailer tongue and I haven't ever seen a raised ball like that. I assume it's a ball but can't tell because of the cover you have on it. Anyway, its a good idea and I would like some information about where you got it, and how much, and how tall is it. Would you have a picture of it without the "cover"? Thanks.....DW

·
Registered
473 Posts
DreamWeaver, thats a Bushtec pin/lock on the hitch, the black cover protects the key hole from dirt/debris.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
DreamWeaver, thats a Bushtec pin/lock on the hitch, the black cover protects the key hole from dirt/debris.
So, thats not a ball up there. I saw that on the Bushtech site but couldn't figure out exactly what I was seeing. Dang, wish I could find a set up like that with a 1 7/8 ball sitting up there. Sure would simplify my dilemma. Thanks for the feed back...:D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some under view pics of the Bushtec hitch.
Pin is bolted to the hitch. Will accept a standard ball hitch without any fuss at all.

Hitch is secured to the bike with a Master Lock keyed pin, and protected behind a Bushtec supplied mud flap.

Now to figure out something to do other than having the harness zip tied.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
Doug. The picture looking up under, what is that capped connector that looks like a intercom plug in hanging under there on the right ?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Looks like the reciever lock to me Chopin. Given the orientation of everything I like the way it points down. The lock I had on the 2000 was to the side, given the way this one is under the "beavertail", it looks to be more easily accessible. Thanks for the pics Dougie.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Man you guys are quick, 2 posts in the time it took me to write my reply, and I don't type that slow either!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.