Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at using 55/60 H4 bulbs in my 1500 wing.
Anybody had a problem going up brighter or hotter than stock??

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
1. If the focal length of the bulb is not identical to the OEM replacement, you could actually worsen the range of the headlamp, not improve it!
2. Depending on what bulb you intend to use, heat can be an issue:
The 1st thing you would notice, is a discoloration of the reflector surface above the bulb. That may continue until a significant portion of the reflector surface is destroyed.
3. The amperage pulled of a higher wattage bulb can over load the wiring.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I found that the least expensive normal headlight bulb gave me the best lighting and longest life. The hotter bulbs just couldn't take the movements of the bike and I didn't see any advantage on the road. Save your money. As for the "fog lights" I scored some H3 LED's that were suggested on another thread here. So far so good for them, they seem to be outlasting the filament bulbs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If memory serves,45/45 is what comes stock,55/60 is the max, & it's stamped on the lite. Mine is a 91 your's could be different but I doubt it. My guess is, Heat would be the reason for any limit on size. Rember you have two bulbs enclosed, quite a bit of heat.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
i'm using sylvania silver star bulbs in both wings that i got from autozone

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
Not sure what a 1500 standard bulb is, but the Silver Star H7 is a definite improvement in lighting over the Honda stock on the 1800.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yup, the Silverstar Ultra has always been good to me. Brighter and whiter. On my Triumph Bonneville I was limited to a single bulb and the Ultra made a dramatic difference. When I start replacing bulbs on the 1800 these are what I use.

On another forum (I'll see if I can find the thread) someone uses "off road" type bulbs in the 1800 and have stated they make a huge difference.

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
I'm looking at using 55/60 H4 bulbs in my 1500 wing.
Anybody had a problem going up brighter or hotter than stock??
I did on my '95 & never had any issues, Not sure what year Wing you have but I did hear that some have a plastic lens so that may cause problems.

·
Registered
718 Posts
The 1500 is not all that bad to get to the headlight bulbs, an allen head screw behind both mirror boots to remove the upper trim, two phillips screws to remove the lower trim piece and four 10mm bolts to pull the headlight housing out. But those spring clips holding the bulbs in can really be the dickens to work with.

·
Registered
718 Posts
By the way, I converted my 1500 over to HID, not quite sure if I'd spend the money on them again though. Sure are bright, but don't seem to fill in the roadway as expected. Reflective signs get lit up for miles without blinding you.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I bought the HID Bulbs to put on my ST, and never put them on.
I will be puting them on the wing, if they fit.
They are the brightest white just before going to blue, don't remember the number.
I hope the bulbs will fit on the wing, will have to do some checking.

·
Banned
466 Posts
One issue with HID's - at least an issue for mine - is on lonely interstates when you come up behind a truck - they sometimes don't like the light. I get about one-in-fifteen trucks gives me some form of grief about the HID's. Cars never do and on crowded freeways it is seemingly not an issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.