Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Black GL1800 and it seems to be one giant bug killing machine. the problem is I use this as a daily driver and unless I wash it every day it seems that I get dead bodies stuck all over my wing soaking them even in Honda pro cleaner doesn't get them off. short of wet sanding and polishing I am not sure what to do to restore the finish. any suggestions short of replacing the upper cowl every so often. there must be a product that works, one to remove the dead bodies and two prevent the acids from etching the paint.
any ideas thanks.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Put a bra on to protect the fairing I think Wing Stuff has them.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Bug removal

Use a damp sheet of Bounce, used when drying clothes to prevent static cling, and the bugs will disapear. In Florida, during love-bug season, I carry Bounce in my tank pouch and at every gas stop I use the Bounce and clean my Wing. Hope it helps.
Ride Safe,
T-Rex

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I use a soaker rag and a mild solution of hot water and dish soap for lifting the bugs. Pledge or Honda spay polish and a buffing cloth does the rest. Right now there are so many clouds of the little varmints that I don't get real carried away with the front end on a daily basis, just the w/s and visor mostly.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input I will use everybody's advise I am also going to have the upper cowl wrapped so if anything gets damaged it won't be the paint

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
my bra on the front of my wing works well

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Butt my headlights are still perky LOL

·
Registered
87 Posts
I work at the Natl. Infantry Museum and found a 'do it all' product we use on just about anything plastic, acrylic, painted etc. Called 'Brillianize'. It is also anti-static. Same stuff used by the the Smithsonian museum. I find that my windshield with continued use, seems to be slicker...the bugs come off easier and easier. Water (rain) beads off the shield well also. About $25 a gallon, but believe me, this stuff goes a long way. I still wax once in awhile, but for day to day upkeep it works great with microfiber cloth....

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the bra is out for now as Wing Stuff does not sell one yet for the 2012 the Upper cowl Garnish only cost $241 so If it gets trashed so be it I will try some of the products that were mentioned on this thread Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
my bra on the front of my wing works well
+1 more on the Bra....you would not regret it. They look pretty sexy too, but don't tell Ron Robertson.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts