Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a 2500km trip with the better half and by the time we got home my poor little goldie was absolutely covered in what ever kind of bug you can imagine. Seeing that its late spring here i guess all the bugs are madly mating or eating. There was a time in my trip that i stopped for fuel and in one front speaker i had a bee and in the other a big mother of a blow fly :eek:, both my front speaker grills are full of bugs.
My question is this , can you buy or make anything to stop these bugs from reaching the front speakers and grill.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
I don't know, but maybe if you got some insect screen & placed it in somehow it would help. The only thing about that though is then you would have to make sure you're not restricting air from somewhere it is intended to go. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
My question is this , can you buy or make anything to stop these bugs from reaching the front speakers and grill.
Sure you can. They are called Fairing Fork Tunnel Fillers. The bugs are being sucked up from below in the steering well cavity and some are finding their way ( not doubt, not intentionally ) into the small aperture around the speaker that allows the water to drain out . These fillers will plug up the steering well. You won't see your front tire or feel the wind that rushes up the tunnel, and it makes the cockpit area a bit quieter too. They are about $20 from Wingstuff. Here is the page link:http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_list/gl1800/11183_goldwing_fairing_accessories/des/?page=3 If you want to get creative you can pull the top shelter off and see where the aperture is around the speakers and secure some foam whatever in there to cover it up. I like my foam inserts for the reasons stated above.

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you have a pre '06 I think you can pop the grills out and remove the little buggers. This was changed after '06 (I think because the grills kept falling off and getting lost). '06 and later the whole dash pops out. If you have a post '06 model be careful because when the dash pops out it will still be connected to the module next to the ignition and more importantly the delicate small wires and connectors that go to each tweeter. Just to clean out the bugs you probably will have enough slack and won't have to unhook any of these connectors.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I flush the little dweebs out with water from the garden hose. Sometimes they will leave little grease spots on the grille mesh, so I use a sponge and some soapy (dish detergent) warm water to scrub the spots off. Rinse and air dry; my cordless leaf blower works well for that, not too much pressure and stops the droplets from blowing out on me when I go riding after. Might have to look into those air dams that chop mentioned. So many accessories, so little time...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Every so often, turn on the speakers, crank up the volume and play Slim Whitman singing "Indian Love Call". The little boogers will just explode and the remains are easily washed away. Worked in "Mars Attacks".....:D

·
Registered
741 Posts
Well it worked in the movies, so it must be real!

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Every so often, turn on the speakers, crank up the volume and play Slim Whitman singing "Indian Love Call". The little boogers will just explode and the remains are easily washed away. Worked in "Mars Attacks".....:D
Texas ingenuity at its best: Crank it up.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Slim Whitman singing "Indian Love Call"
Do you find him on the old 78's. If so i'm sure a bit of aussie legends ACDC will do the trick.

I flush the little dweebs out with water from the garden hose
Tried that today and it done the trick . What ACDC left behined this got rid of the rest.

cordless leaf blower works well for that
Was thinking of that until my wife gave me her hair drier

They are called Fairing Fork Tunnel Fillers
i'm definately going to get those filters. Mine being a 09 model i'm not to keen on removing the meter panel to get the speaker grills out.

I wonder if i sprayed the whole area with Aeroguard insect repeller would it work to keep those bugs out. Just a thought :D

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Hey wing you could always hang fly paper strips at the source too. I'm just saying.:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I'm definitely going to get those fillers. Mine being a 09 model I'm not to keen on removing the meter panel to get the speaker grills out.
Funny thing about these fillers is how they are supposed to fit in there. You would think they were idiot proof by design, but the instructions , such as they are, are not idiot proof. Our perspective from the picture below is standing in front of the bike looking down. The fat portion is closest to the drivers seat, the narrow portion is pointing towards the headlights. Remove them every now and then and soak 'em in water to remove the goodies. Squeeze dry and allow them time to regain there original shape. I bought a pair for my local riding buddy but when he removed them to clean he never reinstalled them. Not sure why and didn't ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
No, no... sorry and I don't mean to be disrespectful but I have the same problem with bugs and I hate it! BUt I also have these tunnel fork fillers and they are in no way positioned to keep the air flow out of the speaker area. Yes they stop wind from rushing though that area but not bugs and wind from entering into the speaker area. At any rate, I can tell you again, I have these and still have a very annoying problem with insect trash in the speaker grill - which really looks like crap!

·
Registered
232 Posts
oh... and before anyone tells me I might have them installed wrong - I have not. They are installed properly.

And sorry... but this bug problem in the grills is so annoying to me.... it makes me nuts!

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
No, no... sorry and I don't mean to be disrespectful but I have the same problem with bugs and I hate it! BUt I also have these tunnel fork fillers and they are in no way positioned to keep the air flow out of the speaker area. Yes they stop wind from rushing though that area but not bugs and wind from entering into the speaker area. At any rate, I can tell you again, I have these and still have a very annoying problem with insect trash in the speaker grill - which really looks like crap!
Good point. My insects, I live on the 38th parallel , have stopped infesting the backside of my speaker grills since I installed the foam inserts but no one can guarantee they will wok for your bugs. Can't hurt but it might not help solve your problem. 10-4.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
but not bugs and wind from entering into the speaker area
Dam , i thought i had that problem solved , Thanks lakecharles for the heads up

Hey wing you could always hang fly paper strips at the source too
This is starting to look like a good idea know :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
I get pieces of leaves, moth and butterfly wings mostly. The plastic piece that covers the speakers and all the way across the front pops off pretty easily. I just pop it off and clean it out.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The plastic piece that covers the speakers and all the way across the front pops off pretty easily. I just pop it off and clean it out
I think that works ok for up to 2005 model from 2006 the speaker covers changed

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think that works ok for up to 2005 model from 2006 the speaker covers changed
Yah but, I,ve got the same problem with my 08' and the whole cluster pops off pretty easily allowing you access behind the speaker grills. I use a bit of compressed air and don't even need to disconect any wiring.

YV

1 - 20 of 20 Posts