Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are finally in the plannings stages of what will be our longest trip yet. We plan on leaving the last week of this April from Montreal, down thru WV, Tenn, Arakansa, into Dallas, New Mexico, Arizona (Grand Canyon of course), Nevada, Colorada, South Dakota and work our way back thru the northern States.

While the wife and I have done numerous rides down thru PA, Virginia, WV, Tennesse, and eastern Kentucky, the rest will be all new to us.

We will pretty much do interstate 81 to Tenn, but after that we would like to stick to good old bike riding secondary routes, with scenery, small town charm, and reasonable accomadations ( no camping says the wife). We enjoy mom & Pop restaurants, road side pic nic areas, and talking to the local folks.

Any suggestions on routes, accommadations, eating and general or scenic attractions that are not overly touristy would be greatly appreciated.

If you see a silver GW and Bushtec trailer go by, wave.

Ride Safe Everyone

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Since you've done the eastern states mentioned, you might want to forgo those and concentrate on those past Kansas starting in Colorado, which, in itself is a vacation. Utah is, in my opinion, at the top of scenic roads and places to see, as is Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington, and parts of Montana. The internet is a good place to start with numerous sites for scenic roads all over the west. Good luck and happy riding!

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
horgie, PM already sent.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
You know Horgie, I am simply proud, you are pursuing a bucket list item. When you come through Tenn. let me know. I might can catch you.

·
Administrator
28,998 Posts
Ok Horgie,

1st) Pa Exit 124B Rt.81 will get you a breakfast, coffee or in general just a friendly Fossil visit. You let me know when & stop at the Dutch Kitchen Restaurant (easy off & on to the interstate) which many of our forum members have visited including our Aussie Mates & our New Mexican IronMan.

2nd) There are loads of great places to see along the route. I highly recommend hitting RT66 where you can. Mom & Pop rest. galore as well as Americana Mom & Pop towns.:United_States:

3rd) Here are a few websites to help the planning.

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/

http://www.historic66.com/

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
If you pass close to Tyler, Tx. give me a shout. We have a local BBQ joint here that has won best in Texas several years running now. I'd be proud to ride out with you a ways on your ride west from here as Tyler is in East Texas off I-20 about 100 miles west of Shreveport and 100 miles east of Dallas. :icon_idea:

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
I've been on US Hwy 64 from the Natchez Trace to Chattanooga and it was a very nice ride. I would think that route into Memphis would continue to be a good choice. From there across the top of Arkansas on US Hwy 62 is nice. Harrison is a nice little town but I've also heard good things about Eureka Springs. Branson, Missouri is just north of there if that interests y'all. AR Hwy 7 south from Harrison to Hot Springs is a great ride. I've also heard good things about the roads around Mena, AR into Oklahoma.

I will second Utah as a great place to visit. Especially around the SE corner and Moab. Arches and Canyonlands National Parks are spectacular. Mesa Verde in SW Colorado is pretty interesting and the ride north from there through Montrose and up the Rocky Mountains is incredible.

If you end up in middle Mississippi let me know. We can meet up or maybe I'll ride along with the Ref through part of Tennessee with you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Guys,

I am really enjoying the feed back on my "Bucket list ride Montreal - Western U.S" post. I am taking every suggestion, and checking it out on my Atlas and map planner. The offers of " look me up, or I'll ride along are very kind. Typical of what seems to be the norm amongst riders in the U.S. With approximately 7000 miles, and only 40 days to do it in, I may have to cut some corners, and or come back and do it again next year.

Right now in Montreal, I see nothing but snow banks, so I am doing a lot of dreaming and planning for this trip. The longest journey, is waiting for winter to be done.

·
Administrator
28,998 Posts
With approximately 7000 miles, and only 40 days to do it in, I may have to cut some corners, and or come back and do it again next year.
My little lady & I did our "bucket list" in 2010 - Over 9K in 29 days. Out the bottom of the States & back the top and saw/did tons of things :Dance02:

It can be done if you put your mind to it. Here's a few tips that we followed.

Choose hotels that have a hot breakfast - Pay more but when you get up in the morning you eat before you get on the bike & if you eat a nice hearty breakfast lunch can be a energy bar (less stoping). When you stay at the budget places you have to get suited up, get on the bike, drive to Restaurant, get out of gear, eat, get back in gear & go. This method will cost you a minimum of 1 1/2 hrs extra daily of riding time.

Arrive at a destination where you will tour the night before, using above suggestion, eat early, get on the road & be in the Park/Attraction 1st thing in the morning. Less crowds, see more, ride more. Particularly important for places like Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Mount Rushmore etc etc etc

Choose hotel every 3rd day or so that has "Guest Laundry" different from laundry service. While you do the wash she gets dinner or vice versa.

We would get to a hotel for the evening, she would check us in, I would get the luggage up in room, she would start laundry (if needed) or get dinner, I would fuel & secure bike, join her eat/finish laundry, shower, post to F/B, email or to the GWOF, & sleep. Next morning I'm an early riser, grab coffee, uncover bike, clean windshield, check oil, tires & warm up bike. She would get up shower, we would eat, she finished packing, I loaded bike & she would check out & go.

It was freekin awesome!!!!!!:elated:

So anyway that's what worked for us. Sorry if this bores you & good luck with your plans.

Remember - RT 81 PA. Exit 124B.:mexican wave:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts