Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Headed out yesterday morning to check off #3 on the AMA's best roads list. I would not say I slayed the DRAGON....Survived is much more fitting.

What an awesome ride!!! I can't imagine another place in this nation that test your mental and physical skills or lack thereof. This was in the middle of a 494 mile day(personal record).
I couldn't sleep last night because I was still leaning....Great Fun!!:D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Glad you had fun Ref. Lots more roads to ride so giddyup.:D

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
It is a road that test your skills.Glad you had a great time, bet you still have a smile on your face.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Hey Ref glad you had fun on the dragon...and thanks for sharing the pictures...

Ride Safe Always!!!

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Good for you. We were there the end of June 2010, it was close because of a rock slide. Don't know if I'll get back there again. If you get Chance ride it again for me.;)

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good for you. We were there the end of June 2010, it was close because of a rock slide. Don't know if I'll get back there again. If you get Chance ride it again for me.;)
If you ever get the opportunity to come down again......I will ride it with you!!!:)

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
I will certainly keep that in mind. If you get up this way we'll show you around the Northwest Corner. Some good mountain riding around here also.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Glad you had fun. It's too bad that we are separated by so many miles. I would love to ride with each and every one of you. Breakfast, ride, lunch, ride. Cheers, beer, and good friends. I may never see the dragon, but if I ever get the chance, there will be a video for sure.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Check out the Moon Shinner 28 Great ride also, along with the cherohala skyway there all right there together,My wife and I will be up there in Oct

·
Registered
741 Posts
DooKoo- if you come out here to the Carolina's to ride the Dragon, we can get you a GW to ride :)
That is very kind. Likewise for anyone who just happens to be in our beautiful neck of the woods without a ride. Mi Casa es Su Casa.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
It appears that everyone has been to the Dragon, except.............A 494 mile day ride, just round it off to 500, is one I have not experienced yet. Close but no cigar. Scrape any pegs ?

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It appears that everyone has been to the Dragon, except.............A 494 mile day ride, just round it off to 500, is one I have not experienced yet. Close but no cigar. Scrape any pegs ?
No peg scraping....Being the first time, I was slow rolling. I can't believe you haven't been. When you do, I want in.....It would be a hoot to meet up with some of you guys at Deals Gap:)

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
No peg scraping....Being the first time, I was slow rolling. I can't believe you haven't been. When you do, I want in.....It would be a hoot to meet up with some of you guys at Deals Gap:)
I'll grab as many as I can muster from the east here. We can pick up " L2R " in Winston-Salem on the way down. That will be next year's goal ride. Let's keep the dream alive.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It will be EPIC....I can't wait:D

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Sigh...I wish....:cool:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Ah, the Dragon! But the Dragon was a walk in the park compared to the road up to a cabin we had rented in Weir's Valley, Straight uphill, off chamber turns not knowing where gravel was, down hills that if you stopped your co-rider was in front with you, nowhere to turn around if you wanted to. Then never getting there before it turned dark no matter how had you tried.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah, the Dragon! But the Dragon was a walk in the park compared to the road up to a cabin we had rented in Weir's Valley, Straight uphill, off chamber turns not knowing where gravel was, down hills that if you stopped your co-rider was in front with you, nowhere to turn around if you wanted to. Then never getting there before it turned dark no matter how had you tried.
Okay...Weir's Valley:eek:...If it makes the Dragon a walk in the park, I shall pass on the Valley. Fossil...Make sure this evil place isn't included in our Meet and Greet.

·
Registered
793 Posts
This was a little road off the main drag. The main roads are just fine, but this was a side road heading up into the mountian. From the main drag if you look up into the mountians you'll see some cabins. That's where we were heading into. Just a little way up the road was a sign" four wheel drive and/or tire tire chains required beyond this point". We took it as a warning for the winter months, not early July.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I hear what you are saying! I got stories about rental cabins that would tear your heart out. The people that rented us this one assured us that it was motorcycle friendly. We dealt with that for a whole week.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts