Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding my '88 Wing to work yesterday, things seemed a little too squishy when turning left corners or even when switching lanes to the left. No high speed or long distance on the route. Took it home and found two bulges or bubbles, both the size of a half tennis ball, both partly on the left side tread and sidewall. I check my tires regularly and hadn't noticed anything prior. I bought the bike used about four months ago and have no idea how many miles are on the tread but there was plenty left.

What causes this and could I have prevented it? Busted belt? I've never seen it happen before and certainly don't want to see it again.

What's the most popular replacement?

Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Once the belts begin to breakdown the tires go south in a hurry. There should be a mfg date on the sidewall which will at least tell you how old they are. Choice of replacement tire is up to you. Lots will folks will offer their favorite. I always replaced my GL1500 tires with the OEM Dunlops. I think they were K77's. Other use E3's, Bridgestone, Metzlers, Avon and the list goes on.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I just put a full set of Metzelers 880's on my bike. I am VERY interested to know your tire Mfg date and model.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
That is common on Metz's. heard more about it on the 1800's that use a radial tire, Dunlop tires are good tires for the 1500, the E3 is a popular one, make sure you get the bias belted not the radial.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Here is acouple of reviews on them

Rating:
I purchased these tires for my 1995 Gold Wing Se and at present day, have 4,286 miles on them. I wanted to get a high milage tire with less noise that the Dunlops. That's not the case. I have more noise on these tires at 4,286 miles than 10,000 on the Dunlops. Not satisfied.

3/6/2010reviewer: olelucky

Rating:
I have run three dunlop elite series.Installed a metzeler and
Wire came out on the bead during installation.Went back to the old
trusty Dunlop Elite 3.
I have got to say Wingstuff staff
are far above any others when it comes to service.Thanks guys for
getting a tire in 2 days and all
the good service no matter when
parts are ordered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
where did you purchase your metzlers from Chop?
I'm ready to replace mine with 10,000 miles on em, the fronts smooth and the rear is cupped.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
where did you purchase your metzlers from Chop?
I'm ready to replace mine with 10,000 miles on em, the fronts smooth and the rear is cupped.
Local Honda shop here in Northern Virginia. They were not stocked at the time with Dunlop E-3's and I could not leave the shop without a tire. Were you riding on the Metz 880's ? Do you think the miles you got out of them " reasonable " ? Are you doing Metz again ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Local Honda shop here in Northern Virginia. They were not stocked at the time with Dunlop E-3's and I could not leave the shop without a tire. Were you riding on the Metz 880's ? Do you think the miles you got out of them " reasonable " ? Are you doing Metz again ?
I've had the metz 880 for about a year and a half, like I said before, about 10M on them. I'm strongly considering another set, but am also looking at the Dunlop Elite. For the size of the bike I suppose 10M is not that bad. Have you ran Dunlops E-3 before?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts