Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets review - Remember I was invited to attend a Gathering with some guys from the ST-Owners Forum. When I started riding, I read journals written by a couple of the fellas, so naturally, I was pretty pumped. Combine that with being able to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway and I would say I was down right giddy.
So here we go....sorry if the photos repeat. Just tying the story together.
By the way....Be patient
Day 1:
Thursday morning, I head out at 7am Cent. Going I59 to U.S. 74 in Ocoee, Tn. where I stop at the always great Ocoee Dam Restaurant.
If you get the chance to ride U.S. 74 through Ocoee and Natahala...This area is very popular for White Water Rafting.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I finally arrive at the Moonshine Creek Campground. I have a cabin for $34 a night. Thats about what I get. Its a step up from a Tent with a bed and an adequate shelter. I have to admit, I have grown accustomed to hotel rooms with your own bathroom and a shower just a few steps from the end of the bed. This Cabin did not offer such comforts.
The bathroom was about 30 yards down the trail and the shower was about a quarter mile ride in the tricky gravel.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now its time to meet the ST folks. They were very welcoming and fun to chat with and eventually it was time ride to Fat Buddy's BBQ in Waynesville, N.C. I recommend this joint highly. After supper we head back to the Camp site so we can gather around the fire. It gets pretty nippy in those mountains.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Day 2 -
Starts out with a nice 1/4 mile ride to the shower house and on to Clyde's for breakfast. Then we get ready for the group ride. I am pretty anxious to say the least. The ride was very organized with the Drop and Sweep method of riding. We were gonna Hwys 215, 221 and 176. A lot of twist and turn with major elevation changes on both ends.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few words about the group ride:
The group leader went over the rules:
1. Only pass in safe situations.
2. No more than 10 mph over the posted limit.
3. The BRP has a hefty fine so NO speeding while on it.
4. Ride your own pace.
5. Never ride farther than your vision.
I find out quickly that all rules must be a joke. There were several dangerous passes. I consistently rode 5 to 10 mph over the posted limit and was being passed like I was standing still. The boys had no regard for the BRP postings. AND if you ride at a safer pace, you hold the train up. As far as riding past their vision....forget about it. After we had 2 wrecks in the first 30 minutes.....It didn't take long for me to know I was WAY out of my comfort zone. Don't get me wrong, this was a great bunch of guys that can flat out ride. For me though, lunch couldn't come fast enough for me to get off the train head to a more relaxed form of entertainment.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Day 3 - Today -
By far the best day...I'm gonna ride the rest of the Parkway down and pick up 441 to Gatlinburg. I had heard that the majority of the tunnels are on this end and I am excited about that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know this is gonna upset some of you....but, if not for the traffic, Hwy 441 North to Gatlinburg, might be every bit as awesome as the parkway. It was as scenic and a little more user friendly in my opinion. If you get the chance, you have to do that stretch. Great tunnels and view points like Newfoundland Gap.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
To wrap everything up.....I did ride thru the nightmare that is Gatlinburg. After seeing all the commercialization one can, I make my way down U.S. Hwy 11 to home. I started craving some real Mexican food. A little trick I have learned from teaching hispanics through the years....If you want REAL Mexican food, you should find a Latino Grocery Store. Most of them have a small Restaurant in the back. In Loudon, Tn. I found a store called La Lupita. I go in and find the busy little Restaurant area. Judging by the fact that I was the only non-Hispanic there, I expect it to be good, and I'm not disappointed. So I will close with a photo of my lunch today. Thanks for riding with me.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
You get an A+ on your report Phil, thanks for taking us along.

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
I agree Rick. Thanks for the ride report & pictures my friend.:cool:

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
4. Ride your own pace.
I find out quickly that all rules must be a joke..............
When I saw that picture of your ride group the other day my first thought was I hope the REF can find his way back alone.

Attachments

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
When I saw that picture of your ride group the other day my first thought was I hope the REF can find his way back alone.
Funny I thought the same thing. Way too many for an Ole Fossil's liking.:eek:

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
4. Ride your own pace.
I find out quickly that all rules must be a joke. There were several dangerous passes. I consistently rode 5 to 10 mph over the posted limit and was being passed like I was standing still. The boys had no regard for the BRP postings. AND if you ride at a safer pace, you hold the train up. As far as riding past their vision....forget about it. After we had 2 wrecks in the first 30 minutes.....It didn't take long for me to know I was WAY out of my comfort zone. Don't get me wrong, this was a great bunch of guys that can flat out ride. For me though, lunch couldn't come fast enough for me to get off the train head to a more relaxed form of entertainment.
Like you all are saying way to many other people for me and two wrecks in 30 min. I'm out and doing my own thing some place with out them. I love the pics and glad you had a great time and the 1 about the bathroom at the end of my bed and a shower I loved thats my way to travel any more.

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
I love the pics and glad you had a great time and the 1 about the bathroom at the end of my bed and a shower I loved thats my way to travel any more.
jaNICE & I always say that Our idea of roughing it is when the Hotel we are staying at doesn't have a Hot Breakfast.:eek:

·
Super Moderator
10,007 Posts
Now I remember why I like to travel in small groups.... Glad you had a safe time. Nice pics too..

·
Administrator
15,318 Posts
Great! Thank you for taking us along. Glad you survived the group ride but two wrecks right off the bat doesn't sound very inviting. I too would have bailed ASAP and been at the end at the meeting point.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Good stuff Ref.
Looks like you had your wing loaded like the Beverly Hillbilly's truck.:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
15,318 Posts
Good stuff Ref.
Looks like you had your wing loaded like the Beverly Hillbilly's truck.:rolleyes:
HA! I'll bet he wishes they find oil in his yard.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.