Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I have a 1990 GL1500. It was in a front end collission, which pushed the front wheel into the timing cover, resulting in a broken belt (I wasn't the one that broke it. lol).

My question is, did Honda build in valve clearance in to protect against the pistons hitting the valves in the event of a belt breaking or am I looking at a valve job?

Thanks!
Lorne

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
have the valves checked, honda didn't build in clearance

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response! I was affraid of that... You'd have thought they would have learned from cars of the early/mid '80s that cost so much to fix when the belt would snap. Fortunately it looks like just the left hand side. This bike was in a front end collision. The wheel hit the timing cover and popped the one belt...

Thanks!
Lorne

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys!

OK, I have the bike, woohoo! I have the valve covers off and as I rotate the cam I notice one of the intake valves seems to have maybe .100" play (gap) between the valve and rocker. If I had to guess, I'd say that one is shot. The rest are .01"-.02" worst case. I haven't measured with feeler guages, but it's a close guess. Any ideas on how to check the rest? The starter's off, the timing belts are off... Will a compression guage work if you rotate the crank by hand? Other ideas? I'll be in shock if it's just the one valve! lol

Thanks!
Lorne

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi Ihutter, don't be surprised if it is only 1 bent valve although its usually 2. I don't know your mech experience but why not pull the cyl head off, sounds like you need 1 valve anyhow, an have all the valves pulled an bench checked, not really that big a job. If you need help, send me a PM as i live in ne ohio as well. frank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts