Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone backed into me and broke a 1" piece off my front fender tip
Is the a way to reattach a clean brake without doing a repaint. Piece spans the full width of the fender. If not would it be possible to re-shape the broken edge to resemble the shape of the original fender tip. O-yeh the P.O.S. how hit me put the broken part on my seat and then drove away..

·
Super Moderator
11,938 Posts
You could try gluing a small piece of material to the back side, keeping the painted side clean.

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
I think you'll have to use abs plastic glue.
I like cantankerous's idea of glueing to the back side. PM me your address and I'll send you a couple small pieces of abs plastic.

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
I used it repair a crack in the trunk lid on a friends bike. I used a strip glued on the inside covering the crack.

·
Super Moderator
28,494 Posts
Yes that is what to use. The panels & bodywork is made of ABS.

·
Administrator
25,937 Posts
Not sure what model you have, but the 1500s can have a two piece with a cover, or a single piece. Costs for a replacement run from $150 to $300+ for the 1500 fender, $150 and up for the cover. 1800s can run $175 to $300+ as well:eek: Fixing and repainting is definitely worth looking at.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a cracked saddle bag. so walk me threw this. I'm thinking I would paint the crack with ABS glue then lay in some fiberglass mesh then coat it completely. sound about right?

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
How many Pieces are we talking about. I can see a problem fitting multiple piece together and holding them in place while things set up. Might want to start at an edge and work your way across, one piece at a time.
Not sure how it works with fiber glass matting.

·
Registered
159 Posts
the P.O.S. how hit me put the broken part on my seat and then drove away..
That is LOW !!!!!

That's just rubbing it in. Sorry you are having to go threw that.
They will get what they got coming to them. Somebody seen them !!!

....... two guns

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
ABS glue is what you should use on the tupperware. If it's a clean break, it should match up and reattach. You may still see the crack, but perhaps a light buffing will hide the marks.

·
Registered
752 Posts
You could plastic weld the broken piece and use some stainless steel screen material to reinforce the broken piece I have a plastic welding kit but I am out of screen.
My kit cost 220.00 but I'd that is the only piece you need repaired it is not worth buying
If you send me the fender and broken piece plus pay for the screen I will repair it for you.
PM me if your interested

·
Registered
752 Posts
thanks Knelson but I would like to try it myself. Question tho; why S.S. screen? I've thought about fiberglass cloth or matt but not
metal. Is there an advantage? thanks[/QUOTE

When you plastic weld the screen won't melt. Yet it stays flexible
You could use a temperature controlled soldering iron to weld the seem
Then use fiberglass and or glue to reinforce the repair.
On one of my cars the rear view mirror was in the way so I cut out 1 inch out of the shaft then plastic welded it back together it was super strong and solved a problem without spending a dime.
I also repaired a major crack on my fairing on my old venture from the inside only using plastic welding rod and stainless screen you would have to know where the crack was to spot it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.