Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I like Sylvania Silverstars...

Being higher kelvin (color temperature) they are whiter therefore a bit brighter for the same wattage used...

About $15 a bulb I think vs. $8-$10 a bulb...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Are the low beams adjustable?
YES & NO:confused:
The low beams are not independent from the the upper beams. Proper headlamp aim is accomplished be aiming the high beams. You then "get what you get" for the low beams depending on how good the lamp design is and how close to design intent the production parts and assembly of them are held.

HEADLAMP AIM PROCEDURE

Proper headlamp aim is achieved by adjusting the upper(high) beams.
Bike needs to be on a level floor, standing upright, loaded as you normally ride. (re, 1up-you for most), with pre load set as you ride 1up, placed 25' from a wall to the headlamp lens in front of the upper beam. I would suggest the auto adjust dial be set in the middle position for this aiming.
Measure the distance from the floor up to the center of the upper beam bulbs. Mark this height on the wall and draw a horizontal line at this height.
Sight a point on the wall that is on the centerline of the bike. Draw a vertical line on the wall placed on this center line.
turn on the upper beams.
Cover one of the headlamps.
Use the manual adjusters accessed from under the fairing.
Adjust the vertical until the hot spot of the upper beam bulb is just under the horizontal line on the wall.
Adjust the horizontal until the upper beam hot spot is just to the right of the vertical line on the wall.
Cover the headlamp just completed, and repeat procedure on the other headlamp.
Make a small mark on the auto adjust panel so you can return to the 1up setting.
Now have both headlamps uncovered and have the usual passenger you carry sit on the bike w/you, set the preload for 2up, and dial in the auto adjust dial for proper aim and mark that position on the panel by the dial. You can repeat this for loaded 1up, loaded 2up, trailer, etc.
You get what you get for low beam aim depending on how good the headlamp design was to start with!

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
h7 sylvanya silverstar bulbs can be found at autozone, o'rileys, advanced auto parts and walmart

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
For the 1800, what part # in the Silverstar do I look for ? I ride with a bud who runs HID's and I'm looking pale yellow next to his.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
For the 1800, what part # in the Siverstar do I look for ? I ride with a bud who runs HID's and I'm looking pale yellow next to his.
h7 should be on the package. it will look just like an h4 except the base is smaller from what i've seen

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
I'll pick two up. What # does the 1500 use ? H4 ?
1200 wings and 1500 wings use h4 bulbs. i have sylvanya extra vision h4's in the 1500 cause my niece lisa got them by accident and i have a silverstar in the 1200. 9003 is on both packages and on the package for the h7 bulbs so make sure is has 9007 on it too

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive! Doc. Can I pick you up a set while I'm there or are you already lit ?
i changed mine just before the pa. trip last month, thanks though

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'm running both hi/low Phillips H7 HID units and H3 fog lamps :)
Takes 15 more minutes to install over the halogen bulb only install time.

These are what they look like with the low beams and fog lights
In fact, they are so bright, I refuse to ride in front of him in darkness any more! Best I've seen so far. Doesn't matter much to me how bright my lights are because you all know, I'm sceered of the dark.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Last year the first low beam bulb burned out on my '04 Wing since I bought it a couple years ago. Went with the Silverstars, was told by local GWRRA chapter people that they wouldn't last long.

Now about one year later, one of them burned out. OK, I can live with that life if they help me see, so I found that there is another silverstar H7 that is supposed to be even brighter/better light. Bought them and replaced both. These new Silverstars have a more gold light than the ones mentioned here in the silver package. Not sure I am in love with that, and not sure they are any better at lighting the road. Think I will go back to the "silver" silverstars next time.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
there is s silverstar ultra that sylvania clams is brighter. if you look on the back of the package there is a chart that shows the brightness and life of the bulb

1 - 20 of 27 Posts