Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was the day I had some time and the weather finally cooperated. I headed to our private bike shop 20 miles away for the new stones I ordered back in January for the '08 GW. The origional Dunlops with 9,730 miles had decent tread remaining but were cupped, both front and back and showed cracking between the beads--they were made in '07. I think the first owner of the bike, who put 4K on it, ran the tires too low which got the cupping pattern established, and I could not stop that wear pattern running 41# front and rear in an additional 5,000 miles. Instead of lead weights we put Dynabeads in front and rear, 2 oz in each tire per their recommendations. Rode about 150 miles home the long way, the new tires did great, responsive and smooth with no sign of tire vibration. Cost for the whole thing was $420.60. Expect the new skins to roll through quite a few states before this fall--looking forward to it!

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Well, keep us up to snuff on those beads and how they fair over the miles. I am curious about using those things. Do you have to go a certain distance before they re-balance after every stop. Do they rattle or make noise? How long are they supposed to last ? If you speed up or slow down, do they re-adjust or what? Is there an initial out of balance hop and then it smooths out? Just curious about how they do over the long haul. So, if you don't mind, keep us posted.:D
Isaac

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, keep us up to snuff on those beads and how they fair over the miles. I am curious about using those things. Do you have to go a certain distance before they re-balance after every stop. Do they rattle or make noise? How long are they supposed to last ? If you speed up or slow down, do they re-adjust or what? Is there an initial out of balance hop and then it smooths out? Just curious about how they do over the long haul. So, if you don't mind, keep us posted.:D
Isaac
Weaver, I will post anything negative or unusual. As I understand, as soon as centrifical force applies, about 15mph, they get on the job and do their thing. There was no initial hop or indication of poor balance; below 15mph or so it would not be noticable anyway. They are to last the life of the tire. There is no noise, the beads are tiny, smaller than the head of a pin, 2oz is about the size of a typical smallish salt shaker. They easily went in through the valve stem. They are supposed to compensate for weight that might be picked up on the tire while running, and for tire wear.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Thanks. I am about due for a new set of Stones on the bike as I have almost 10k on these. Probably gonna have some of the beads installed when I do the tire change. Just glad there is someone like you who will give us the real skinny on how they work. The 15 mph activation is good information and I didn't know they were that small. Course they would have to be small to go in through the valve stem. Thanks again.:)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An update on the Bridgestones & Beads..................went to Gene's Gallery in Springfield today, (a great place for anything GW) a 325 mile trip, first good haul on the new stones. I could have almost guessed I was on a new bike, huge difference, all good. Super smooth on straights and crooks, no hint of tire vibration. The bike seems to move on the road by me just thinking about it. Highway milling marks and tar strips made no difference--the tires hug the road and stay where you put them. This guy is sold 100% on the combination. Maybe my experience will help someone else out there about to make a tire decision.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I like the Stones over the DumbFlops that came on the bike but it seems that every make of tire goes nuts when the back tire starts to flatten out. Its a sad state where the tire companies won't make a tire that will last under normal, everyday usage. But then why would they? Ok, I'll shut up, don't want to start that war.:D But thanks for the updates.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I put dyna beads in my 2010 when i got it. Stock dunlaps i have 10,500 miles on my wing now and the tires look great lot of tread on them. I believe dyna beads will give you a good stable ride and long tire life.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what's the theory behind it all ? :confused:
At this point it no longer seems to be theory, but rather a law of physics that makes it work. I wish knew. I do know centrafical force distributes the beads on the inner circumference of the tire at something like 15mph--and what make the beads distribute to the lighter side of the tire I do not know. Another product called Centramatic operates on the same principal. If you are interested in the beads, give em a try, not much at all to loose, and lots to gain.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
At this point it no longer seems to be theory, but rather a law of physics that makes it work. I wish knew. I do know centrafical force distributes the beads on the inner circumference of the tire at something like 15mph--and what make the beads distribute to the lighter side of the tire I do not know. Another product called Centramatic operates on the same principal. If you are interested in the beads, give em a try, not much at all to loose, and lots to gain.
Perhaps we assume that the tyre is thinner, radially, at the light spot. Hence it is the light spot & the inner radii at that area is greatest. Any mass influenced by centrifugal force would therefore gravitate there ?

Could be a theory ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts