Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently ordered a Shinko Journey 890 for the front tire replacement on my 1500. Tire was back ordered and after several weeks of waiting I had them ship me the Bridgestone Exedra Max radial. It arrived yesterday and am having it mounted today. Has anyone run this tire on their Wing?

·
Super Moderator
10,006 Posts
The 1500's came with bias ply tires and I replaced mine with OEM Dunlops. I never ran a radial on my 1500, but I've heard good things about the Bridgestone radials on the 1800's..

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
I have been running a Stinko radial tire for the past 6,000 miles or so. I couldn't tell the difference between the bias and the radial. I think I have 3,000 miles left on that Stinko. I might follow your lead if you have good success with that tire.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 1500's came with bias ply tires and I replaced mine with OEM Dunlops. I never ran a radial on my 1500, but I've heard good things about the Bridgestone radials on the 1800's..
Charlie, the Bridgestone Exedra, I think, was the OEM tire on the earlier 1800's. It's a low priced tire similar in cost to the Shinko and I was curious how it performs and about it's longevity? After it's mounted today I'll do a ride report on the tire and report back periodically about it's handling and wear characteristics.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Getting tire installed now. Quoted me 39.00 labor to replace front. Much better than the 100.00 .for the rear. Told her I had ordered the Shinko Journey 890 and she said she had one on her Harley and the side walls aren't strong enough for a heavy bike. Glad to hear that as I had ordered this one but was back ordered so I changed to the Bridgestone Exedra. Hope it's quieter than the Dunlop Elite that's on there now. Ride report coming tonight with pics.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
OMG, what new tires will do for the ride quality of a bike. For the last 2000 miles since I brought this Wing back from New Mexico, I've been riding on the old Dunlop Elite's that have been on the bike for ages. The front tire was super noisy as it sounded like I was always riding on that asphalt chip seal even on smooth surfaces. So when I left the shop yesterday after having the Bridgestone installed I immediately noticed how quiet the bike was as if I had just jumped on a brand new bike with 0 miles on it. It was so quiet that it is doubtful that I will ever need ear plugs around town and most likely will not wear when Deb and I riding together so we can hear each other through our Scala radio system.

I probably am comparing a Bridgestone to an old Dunlop Elite so the comparison may be a bit skewed as any new tire would probably be better than what I had. Around town the tire was very sticky (since it was new) at low speed riding like coming up on a red light that just turned green and you're balancing the bike at nearly no speed and moving the front tire around a bit for balance. I'm sure that will improve with break-in. I rode some twisties around a local lake and it was so smooth running them with my new Dunlop c/t and Bridgestone. Unlike what others may say, the bike does not want to stand-up any more than a m/t coming out of a turn applying some throttle. The bike held a line through the turns with no anomalies.

As I got closer to home I opened it up and rode up to 105mph indicated and there was no vibration at all in the bike and it ran straight and smooth. As time goes on I'll come back to this thread and update with a ride report on this tire with wear and handling. For 116.00 I feel it is good value. Now we'll see how long it lasts.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Cheers for that Dan. Looking forward to hearing your updates.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scooter1 can you give and update on the Bridgestone Excedra Max 70 series tire. I've been running the 704 and 709 but am thinking about going to the Max to gain the height from the 70 rear tire.
Sorry, sold the bike several years ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.