Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that everyone doesn't get a new helmet everyday but I just bought a new to me 1995 Gold Wing and the PO threw in 2 Shoei 3/4 helmets with the communication gear attached. The smaller helmet worked great for my wife but the other helmet was an XL which did not work for me but we want the helmets to match so we looked online and ordered a white Shoei 3/4 RJ Platinum helmet "in my size". I got it today, we used the size chart on the site to order it but BOY it really seems snug......I remember my current LS-2 modular helmet seemsed tight at first too, I guess the padding will compress somewhat given some time. I did mount the communication into the helmet so I am all ready to go once I get the bike back from the Honda dealer that is.......it has been there for 11 days so far waiting on having it checked out, fluids changed, timing belts etc. I am getting a little bit frustrated in how long it is taking for the shop to get the maintenance done but at least I still have my Volusia to ride until I get the Wing back.

I took the Suzuki on about a 220 mile run through the North Texas country side this past Sunday and ran into the local GWRRA chapter in Granbury, Tx. They were stopped at a Race Trac convenience store for what looked like a break. I didn't stop even though I have joined that group (we signed up last week) figuring I probably would not get a warm reception from them with me on my Suzuki.

Counting the days until I can start riding the new to me Wing.

:):):):)

·
Registered
256 Posts
New Helmets and Big Heads

I got a Scorpion Neon XXL Modlar helmet last year. It seemed to fit fine; however after wearng it for a few hours it felt like my head was in a vice. I tolerated this helmet until I could'nt stand it anymore. I went back to my old Vega helmet. I liked the Scorpion, paid a good buck for it (not full price, my niece has a scooter shop in Tallahassee, FL) and thought I just needed a larger size. I would use the Scorpion for short trips or day rides, any ride longer the Vega was strapped on. Last week I was comtemplating my helmet situation and went online. All the sizing charts indicated that my Scorpion should fit my head? I got the helmet and its instruction booklet out of the garage and studied it. I removed the modular part of the helmet (it weighs a ton) and tried it on, it fit and was not uncomfortable. Evidently the helmets weight was causing my discomfort:eek: Go figure??:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Have found in the world of motorcycle gear, clothes, helmets, gloves, chaps, the list just goes on & on ,,,,,, NOTHING FITS LIKE IT SUPPOSE TO !!!!
Done spent many $$$ on stuff that don't fit. End up giving it away or selling to somebody for just nothing to keep from looking at it.

Best to test fire everything before purchase. Try 'em on .... Don't just jump online and think it all going to be perfect, for you will be in a big surprise.

Went threw three helmets, two pair of gloves, two jackets, three sets of chaps. I have paid dearly to learn this.
Now, I went to a leather shop and purchased a set of leather bibs. Love them. But they are a 5X LARGE. I am not that big. But with them, that is the only size that would fit.
My new Modular helmet, XXL. Glad I check it out before I spent any 350 dollars on that item. The sizes on the stuff, is not like they are on anything else. :cool:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,126 Posts
i bought a pair of deer sking gloves at the leather shop a few years ago, size xl and they fit fine. somehow the glove came up missing so i went back to get another pair but the xl gloves were too big so i got a size large. then i found the first pair that are tagged xl and those are the same size as the newer pair which are large

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
I have a Shoei full face and it is a little more snug the HJC that I did have. I do love the Shoei though

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
I know that everyone doesn't get a new helmet everyday but I just bought a new to me 1995 Gold Wing and the PO threw in 2 Shoei 3/4 helmets with the communication gear attached. The smaller helmet worked great for my wife but the other helmet was an XL which did not work for me but we want the helmets to match so we looked online and ordered a white Shoei 3/4 RJ Platinum helmet "in my size". I got it today, we used the size chart on the site to order it but BOY it really seems snug......I remember my current LS-2 modular helmet seemsed tight at first too, I guess the padding will compress somewhat given some time. I did mount the communication into the helmet so I am all ready to go once I get the bike back from the Honda dealer that is.......it has been there for 11 days so far waiting on having it checked out, fluids changed, timing belts etc. I am getting a little bit frustrated in how long it is taking for the shop to get the maintenance done but at least I still have my Volusia to ride until I get the Wing back.

I took the Suzuki on about a 220 mile run through the North Texas country side this past Sunday and ran into the local GWRRA chapter in Granbury, Tx. They were stopped at a Race Trac convenience store for what looked like a break. I didn't stop even though I have joined that group (we signed up last week) figuring I probably would not get a warm reception from them with me on my Suzuki.

Bevman,

Shoei has replacement cheek pads to help with the fit. You might want to look into it.
The wife & I both have the Multitec, before we purchased we went to a dealer & put them on & walked (shopped) for a half an hour before we spent the money. I know it looked silly, but we found the helmets with the perfect fit.

Mark

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bevman,

Shoei has replacement cheek pads to help with the fit. You might want to look into it.
The wife & I both have the Multitec, before we purchased we went to a dealer & put them on & walked (shopped) for a half an hour before we spent the money. I know it looked silly, but we found the helmets with the perfect fit.

Mark
Smaller or thinner cheek pads maybe just the thing that I need, it seems really snug on my cheeks.

Thanks.....Ill check that out.......it's only $$$$$$$

·
Registered
159 Posts
Bevman,

Mark
Now that is using your head !!!
Most helmets, go to hurting or bothering you, feeling uncomfortable as hell the first 15-20 minutes of wear.
Slapping one on the head, shaking the head, walking in front of a mirror for the cool look, don't get it.
I agree 100%, put it on and walk around for awhile. Then make the decision.... Nobody else can pick that item out for you, You are the ONLY ONE !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Helmet buying is tough. I have never succeeded in buying a helmet online. Definately suggest going to a shop and trying them on. That small little pressure point that feels snug but not too bad, will bring horrible discomfort after a few hours.
A little trick that sometimes work is to take out the cheek pads and press them under a really hot iron to smash em a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
I have 2 scorpions. The 'helmets' are all the same, at least in this model. The padding determines the 'size'.

Don't know about other brands but it makes sense to not have to make multiple molds for all the sizes.

Might want to look into it and see. Maybe you just need to buy another set of pads that would fit better.

good luck

·
Super Moderator
15,126 Posts
I have 2 scorpions. The 'helmets' are all the same, at least in this model. The padding determines the 'size'.

Don't know about other brands but it makes sense to not have to make multiple molds for all the sizes.

Might want to look into it and see. Maybe you just need to buy another set of pads that would fit better.

good luck
most manufactures only make a couple different shell sizes

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
I've had good luck ordering Nolan helmets online. Since my head is big I always order their largest, the XL. My present helmet is the N90 modular/white which I love. It has good ventilation and build quality and excellent comfort for me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just Healing

Well....I had a knee scope on my left knee yesterday. Good news as everything ok with my ACL. Knee is sore but could have been alot worse. I have never used crutches befoe and I look like a fish out of water (lol) :eek:. Just taking it easy and appling small amount of pressure to it. Bandages come off Thursday and hoping I can bend knee without bandages on. Once this knee is healded then I have the enjoyment of getting the other knee done. I told the doctor he had until August to get me better. Looking forward to riding the tail of the Dragon...:)

·
Registered
96 Posts

I have never ridden with this chapter, but this is not a fair statement and does not reflect the true mission of the GWRRA. When you are a member of GWRRA you can ride with any chapter, and some members choose not to be part of a chapter, but are still welcome to everything the organization offers. GWRRA chapters wellcome all riders no matter what you ride, you can join on any bike, but you must own a GW to hold any officer position. I am sure BEVMAN didnt understand this since he is a new member, and I know he will find some great members to ride with.
"Friends for Fun, Safety & Knowledge"

Greg

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have never ridden with this chapter, but this is not a fair statement and does not reflect the true mission of the GWRRA. When you are a member of GWRRA you can ride with any chapter, and some members choose not to be part of a chapter, but are still welcome to everything the organization offers. GWRRA chapters wellcome all riders no matter what you ride, you can join on any bike, but you must own a GW to hold any officer position. I am sure BEVMAN didnt understand this since he is a new member, and I know he will find some great members to ride with.
"Friends for Fun, Safety & Knowledge"

Greg
Greg- I did not mean for my post to reflect anything negative on the GWRRA group. I am so new to it that I have not even received my enrollment packet as of yet. I know they are a fine organization as I will hopefully soon find out.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
GWRRA: Some members ride different bikes to the meetings. Some don't even own a Goldwing any more. Friends and fellowship is what they are about. All that said, I do understand how you felt.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Went to my first GWRRA meeting last Sunday and found a room full of very nice, welcoming people. I joined last January and already reaping the benefits of the organization. I'm signed up for an advanced riding course next month.:)

·
Registered
776 Posts
BEVMAN, You should have stopped, GWRRA members can be a very friendly and chatty group. You don't need to be on a Goldwing and some members do own other makes in addition to a Goldwing. I myself, as a chapter director, own a Goldwing (primary ride) and an old Yamaha Venture. I got two members in my chapter who own over 20 motorcycles and put them on a rotating schedule. Even if those members were not from your 'home' chapter, GWRRA encourages it's members to mingle with other chapters/members.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Greg- I did not mean for my post to reflect anything negative on the GWRRA group. I am so new to it that I have not even received my enrollment packet as of yet. I know they are a fine organization as I will hopefully soon find out.
I am glad you joined the GWRRA, and I know it probably didnt type out the way you were thinking it.. Welcome aboard and get all the knowledge you can and have fun. You will love the monthly Wingworld Magazine and the Gold book, it is a great asset for any rider to carry, both come with the membership.
BTW Last year I rode to a state ABATE ralley, I think over 4k motorcycles there, mostly HD and I counted 12 Goldwings so talking about feeling out of place... lol I must say it was one of the best rallies my wife said we had attended an no one ever mistreated us because we rode a GW.

With all that said, probably need to keep this thread on topic of helmets, but you did start the thread kinda twofold.

Have a great riding season!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts