Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up my Wing Thurs. Any advice on breaking in the motor? Do you just run it normally or do you push it at times? Cruise the freeway or take the back roads? Last bike I broke in, I did a little of everything.

The dealer told me you cant use synthetic oil b/c it may damage the clutch. Yet I see a lot of people do use it. Only thing I may be thinking is that some people may have used the wrong oil like oil for a car. I see Honda does sell synthetic oil. Really makes me wonder about this guy. Hopefully, the guy who works on my bike is a tech.

This guy said you need oil changes @ 250 and 2500 miles, then a normal oil change schedule.

I would love to use Amsoil MC 10W-40 and change it once a year.

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
hello mrrko, welcome to GWOF and congrats on the purchase of your new wing. take a look in your owners manual and it will tell you when an oil change is needed, my wings owners manuals say 8000 miles but i change oil and filter at 5000 mile intervals

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Don't go gunning it, but don't baby it either. A 250 mile oil change seems a bit soon. Can't hurt his pocket book if you let him do it. Here is what the Honda manual says under the heading " Break-in Guidelines ". What follows is all that there is on the page:
Help assure your motorcycle's future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you ride during the first 300 miles( 50km ). During this period, avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
When you break it in don't use the cruise control it's bad to keep it at a constant speed for any long amount of time, Vary the speed and RPM once in awhile, Keep the RPM's below 4000 for the first couple hundred miles. If it makes you better you can do your first oil change at 500 which most people do just top feel better. After that every 3-4000 miles is good. Your dealer doesn't know anything about synthetic oil if he tells you not to use it because it is bad for your clutch. Lots of people use it. Shell Rotella T6 and Mobil 1 are 2 that many use. I see no advantage to it if you do regular oil changes anyway. What you do not want to use is oil that says it is energy CONSERVING, that will hurt the clutch. The oil changes and final drive fluids are easy to change, do it yourself and save some money. If your dealer says you need a 600 mile "SERVICE" ask him to show you that in the service manual.
You said you would love to use Amsoil and change it once a year, Don't do that either, change it at least every 6 months even if you have a lot of miles on it.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Your dealer obviously is a little short on knowledge and long on wanting to relieve you of money!
1. Synthetic is fine as long as it is NOT ENGERY CONSERVING.
2. Check your owners manual-first oil change is at 4,000 miles.
Don't "flog" it speeding up or stopping for about 500 miles. Keep your shifts between 2500 and 3000 rpm, so you don't lug the motor.
Don't let your dealer talk you into rear drive fluid change to soon either. That's a long way down the road.

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
The book will give a lot of good tips and instructions for breaking in your new Wing. It makes for good reading on a slow day. I left the dino oil that came with the bike in until 1k and then switched to synthetic (Honda brand). Some folks swap it out earlier. Your bike, your choice..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got about 700 miles on my 2012, will change around 1000. I have done this on all my new bikes, makes me feel better. I will then follow the manual. Change at 4k and every 8k after that. I did not push to hard the first 500 miles, no full throttle take offs or heavy down shifting. I now ride it like I always will, I open her up every once in a while.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Migolito has a good point about checking the final drive oil level. All oil changes are a breeze (engine/final drive) on the Wing. I drove it like I stole it as soon as it left the dealership. The main issue is to vary the engine rpm for the first few hundred miles. Remember, when they built your motor, they just revved it to almost redline to check it's vitals. I use Mobile 1 (Costco, energy conserving) in all my vehicles (car/mc) but change frequently. I've never had oil related issues. Never.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
There's a difference between use and abuse. A couple things you should pay attention to are the brakes/pads/rotors for abnormal wear. Let the pads and rotors seat with each other a bit before doing any serious or heavy brake useage. And of course let the tires scrub in, that waxy tire coating can offer up some really nasty surporises, especially if the pavement gets wet. As to the engine break-in the tolerances are so close now that there is really very little to worry about. I went right to the full recommended service interval and then switched to Amsoil and their filter. As long as you use JASO MA oil you'll be fine regardless of brand. Basic ruleof thumb anymore is drive it as you plan on driving it. Welcome BTW

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
When you break it in don't use the cruise control it's bad to keep it at a constant speed for any long amount of time, Vary the speed and RPM once in awhile, Keep the RPM's below 4000 for the first couple hundred miles. If it makes you better you can do your first oil change at 500 which most people do just top feel better. After that every 3-4000 miles is good. Your dealer doesn't know anything about synthetic oil if he tells you not to use it because it is bad for your clutch. Lots of people use it. Shell Rotella T6 and Mobil 1 are 2 that many use. I see no advantage to it if you do regular oil cha If your dealer says you need a 600 mile "SERVICE" ask him to show you that in the service manual.
You said you would love to use Amsoil and change it once a year, Don't do that either, change it at least every 6 months even if you have a lot of miles on it.
Got about 700 miles on my 2012, will change around 1000. I have done this on all my new bikes, makes me feel better. I will then follow the manual. Change at 4k and every 8k after that. I did not push to hard the first 500 miles, no full throttle take offs or heavy down shifting. I now ride it like I always will, I open her up every once in a while.
Of my brand new bikes, my "break-in" consisted of.... Nothing...Drove them like I was going to ride them.. I changed the oil between 600 and 800 miles and went directly to AMSOIL Motorcycle oils....Never looked back... 500-1000 miles on the initial change is to Heat Cycle the engine to loosen and remove machining and casting debris.

The days of "ring seating" are gone except on machine shop engines. This is due to the changes in machining practices and material development.

On my Wing, I went over 16K, on the oil change which was one year.

There are NO Problems going 1 year on AMSOIL as long as you use the AMSOIL filter and Do Not exceed the recommended mileage of 2X OEM recommended change interval.

I always changed differential lube once a year. Cheap insurance. Two shaft drive bikes and a qt covered them both for two years. So for less than $4.00 on each bike using my Top of the Line Lube and 15 minutes once a year, why not.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just purchased a left-over 2018 goldwing (non-tour). Best decision ever. I'm just varying the throttle and downshifting to put a load on the motor. This is suppose to "seat" the rings. Someone stated above this isn't necessary any more on new engines. I don't know, I'll just play it safe but I'm sure it will be fine either way. I'll probably change the oil/filter at about 500 miles. I have 250 miles on now and I can already feel the difference from when it had less than 100 miles on it. It shifts easier now. The manual gear box in this thing is awesome and not clunky at all. The handling on this machine is light years ahead of the 2007 I had. I love the new design and it feels much more like a sport tourer. At times I felt that my 2007 GL1800 was like driving a bus. I've never named any of my bikes in the past, but I have labeled this one as my Starship.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts