Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...I am riding in more and more groups...so I broke down and bought a CB....(2010 GW)...I read all the directions....It a appears that I need to dismantle the entire bike from the trunk all the way to the front fair (at least part of it)....no problem...I can do that...heck I drilled holes to install the luggage rack and spoiler....and they fit nice....

So I have the trunk removed....seat removed...side panels removed...next step remove the meter panel (plasitic panel that holds the front speakers and heated seat controls...)

...I have the service manual...but still not sure how to remove it....NOW I am scared...I might break something if I pull on plastic....HELP....anyone remove the meter panel on the GW...I am assuming the 2008-2010 are the same....any tricks of the trade.....

Thanks In Advance....

Safe Ride...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh lordy, you needed to check out this site:

http://www.pbase.com/wingman26/gl1800_cb_install

I used his instructions and they were a great reference. To bad you already removed the trunk. That was a big time waster.

I have a 2008 and the meter panel isn't to bad, It's all pressed on, no fasteners to unscrew. You pull it up gently where the GL1800 Logo is and release it from that end first. The trick is disconnecting the switch wiring, that takes a couple of very small jewelers screwdrivers to release the clips on the connectors. The other tricky part is the tweeter wires, they are very nasty, There are some small push in spots on the connectors that are not visible from the angles you have. Again patience and fooling around with them you will get them off as well.

Once you do it, you will understand.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
First you don't have to remove the trunk, you can drill the hole for the wires to go through with out removing the trunk. You don't have to remove the top shelter, just loosen it up so you can fish the wire to the plug. Here is a link on removing the dash on the 06 and up (it is different from the 01 - 05. Here are a couple of pictures of the plugs for the CB also.
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196034

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Nice post Joe. I'm going to use those when Leo and I do the CB install on mine. I know you are comforatble as heck with dismantling your bike, but the thought of it intimidates me big time.:eek:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I do not run my antenna wire under the passenger seat. I put the antenna connector in the truck for easy acess to check the swr. I've installed 6 or 7 cb radios in 1800s and never removed the trunk.
Removed the shelter but also changed air filter and adjusted cruise lag.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I do not run my antenna wire under the passenger seat. I put the antenna connector in the truck for easy acess to check the swr. I've installed 6 or 7 cb radios in 1800s and never removed the trunk.
Removed the shelter but also changed air filter and adjusted cruise lag.
I'm considering a CB install myself so this thread caught my attention. I don't mean to change the subject , but please explain adjusting the cruise lag. My '08 will need an air filter at the next service and if I have to go that deep under the hood, I don't want to overlook something.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Radardad I don't want to hijack MarkH's thread so I will start a cruise lag thread.

MarkH I hope you got the meter panel off ok and got your cb installed.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Radardad I don't want to hijack MarkH's thread so I will start a cruise lag thread.

MarkH I hope you got the meter panel off ok and got your cb installed.
VPtech...not offended :) ...I learn alot from the added information to my threads...thanks-a-bunch...I hope others learn as well

...It does appear I have a lot of followers waiting for me to tell them whether or not it was an easy job...I will let you all know....

Thanks Joe for the great pics & links....

Thanks Daveo for the great link

Safe Ride

1 - 8 of 8 Posts