Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
I also have an '08. I believe your owner's manual is very brief on the subject. Basically it states that for the first 400 miles to accelerate slowly. You can go fast just take your time getting there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ... the salesman at the dealership suggested same, but I always like to confirm. I understand that the owners manual is quite extensive.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yes, it is quite detailed. Much more so than any previous bike I have had. Probably about 200 pages. I may be weird buy I enjoyed pursuing it. I would adivse any new owner to do the same. There are several items that you won't be able to take advantage of without reading the manual unless you have already been an owner of a recent model wing.:)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Welcome!

As everyone has already said, just take it slow and easy for the first 500 miles. Follow the suggestions in the excellent manual you got; it does have a lot of info.

If you do your own maintenance or accessories installation (know as "farkleizing"), I would suggest buying a service manual. It will help you to correctly remove body panels and such as let you know where the wiring is and what it's routed to. You can get a printed version of one on CD, including the electrical troubleshooting manual. Either is good, but the CD takes a lot less space. Just depends on how computer savy you are, I guess.

Happy Riding!

·
Registered
405 Posts
There is a link to the free download for the '05 service manual somewhere over on the Steve Saunders Goldwing page. It has 750 pages + so you need a pretty good connection. I printed it and put into notebooks. But there are some differences between the '05 and '08. I figure (hope) that it can handle most of what I might need a manual for.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New 08 Goldwing

All went well yesterday at the dealership. Had my 30 minute orientation on the GW and off I went to explore. Put on approx 100 km on the GW and headed home to read the owners manual. Wow 230 odd ( lawyers must have proofed the manual ) pages on everything you could imagine and I haven't started to read the 160 pages owners manual on the Navi system.

So far I've read 92 pages and just starting the audio system portion of the manual. Most of the instrumentation is intuitive except for the navi system.

The only downside on the GW and it's a little annoying for a short time is depending on the sun's horizon you get a glare reflection off the navi screen.

As to the handling of the GW ... I'm more impressed than I remember. Every km I ride she keeps getting better and better. The break in period in Canada is 500 Km ( 300 miles ) and I'm heading out today for another 200 km run.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been riding the wing and I now have 1300 kms on her. Had a oil change done at 1000 kms just to be on the safe side. Also had the front tire replaced due to a flaw which caused a steering wobble.

Can't tell you how many Harleys I've embarrassed... the wing handles like a dream. But it was sure fun to see the look on their faces in my side view mirror.

The only thing left for me to do is tackle the GPS system. I'm not a big user of the GPS but I'm certain some point down the road I'll use or need it.

I'm still heading to the Sturgis rally this year with my buddy who rides a 2008 kawi concours... we can forgive him for that. Anyone who's heading that way and wants company let me. We're heading down via Spokane,Wa. Missoula, MT via Yellowstone then to Sheridan, WY and down thru Custer, SD. and we are staying in Hill City, SD.

After riding Harleys for 37 years ... I have NO regrets with my 08 Wing. Should have done this years ago.

Can't wait to rip up the miles on the Wing...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Fellow Canuck

Hi. If you think you have embarrased a few HARLEY owners wait till you get to Sturgis and see all the harley owners sitting on the side of the road as it is usually 100 f plus and the poor old harleys are trying not to seize up as you usually get about 2 miles to the hour on some of the streets. You will also see a bunch of harleys on trailers being hauled behind motor homes heading to Sturgis .It is a great time so enjoy and good riding ..Ron

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tell me about it .. I used to be one of those H-D guys sitting by the road waiting for the motor to cool down. This will be my first time at Sturgis riding a metric ... should be interesting.

What part of Canuck Land are you from ???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi.I was born and raised in Brandon Manitoba ,Spent 3 years up in Prince Rupert working for B.C, power and seeing the north .I now reside in WestVirginia and cruising the mountains down here. Summers are longer here but sure not as Pretty .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You would think the planet is big .. born in Wpg, Mb ... partied in Brandon... drank and crashed at the Red Oak Inn.

I helped build & upgrade a few of the pup mills up north in the early to mid 90's

Now living in Beautiful Vernon, BC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I have to agree with you on that one ,Drove through Vernon on holidays once and it is nice .The old Red Oak Inn and the old disco days are long gone and they put up a big Country Bar ( Houston's ) 15or 20 years ago now .I still stop in when I get back there and usually meet up with some old friends . I was in Rupert in the early 80's, but I'm sure it still rains there about 200 days a year . Had a 1978 Suzuki 750 when I was there but got tired of riding in the rain and sold it to a lineman moving to the interior. We got spoiled this weekend here it was almost 90 both days but almost as windy as the prairies . Hope your summer has started there but not to good back in Brandon and I have a brother-inlaw sitting on his new Goldwing -------in his garage I'm sure .LMAO

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The weather here been cool but we should get back to normal temps this week. I have a sister in Wpg and she's in the flood plain ...how nice is that.

My company worked with Skeena & Cariboo Pulp back in the good days 80's & 90's.

What are you ridin now ???

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a 1991 wing 1500 ,sold my 1100 Interstate last fall and wow what a diffrence. This one handles twice as good and has power to spare. Getting that funny sound around 1500 to 2800 rpm's that I suspect is bearings in the alternetor. Took it off the bike and took it to an alternator shop the guy new it was an alternator off a wing but after spinning it in his hands said no to bearings?? Put it back on the bike and took it to 2 honda shops ,one guy said yes it is bearings that might have flat spots and the other guy probably still has a stunned look on his face . Guess I will remove it again and try to replace the the one that is replaceable . I bought a Clymer manual and yes it is worth the price...If anyone has had this ( whirring type noise ) and has it figured out please let me know .Thanks ...Ron

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My neighbor across the street has a 1500 with a side car that his wife drives. Not to sure about the year, but he has trouble finding dealers who will service the wing because its older than 10 years.

I think he had a similar problem ... he's in Vcr and should return by Fri.

I'll let you know what he says.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts