Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I had my ‘84 interstate out 9 days ago for a nice ride with my other half. Since, due to bad weather it’s been sitting, covered. When I put the key in yesterday, no dash lights came on. Great, drained battery! But it’s brand new! So I hooked up to the trickle charger (which read it was charging) and, after an hour, still no dash lights. Even tried starting but nothing happened. Before I bought the bike 2 months ago, the previous owner replaced the stator and installed new battery. I’ve been riding the bike with no electrical issues. Anybody have ideas? I will check volts on battery later today. Any help is appreciated. As always, thank you fellow goldwingers.

·
Premium Member
11,070 Posts
I would check to see if the dog bone 30 amp fuse near the battery is still there. If it is change that fuse to a car style 30 amp bayonet fuse. Those fuses causes all sorts of problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I removed the battery and see no dog bone fuse. I’m currently charging the battery off the bike. It read a little over 7v on the bike so going to see what the charged battery does.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello. Turns out, the battery wouldn’t charge past 8.6v. Luckily, I still had the original receipt and was able to exchange it for a new one. I’m going to pop it in the new battery later today and hopefully she’ll fire right up, no problem.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Hopefully it was a 'one time' bad battery. Make sure you fully charge the new battery before installing it.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Ok will do. Thanks bcihil
Make sure the charger is no more than 2 amp/hr. It will take longer but there's no chance of destroying the battery. High amp hour chargers can actually warp the plates in the battery.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If it is a absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery that you have to add electrolyte to, make sure you set it up properly. Add the electrolyte to the battery and put the cap on. Let it sit for at least a half hour before putting it on a charger. The mats need to absorb the electrolyte. Then like bcihil said, put it on a low amp/hr. charger for about 8-10 hours. Do not use your trickle charger or a battery maintainer. They shut off to early.

If it is a pre filled battery, then just the low amp charger.

I have always gotten at least 8 years out of battery's when I set them up this way. If the bike has a draw from a clock or ecm, then I keep them on a battery tender when not riding.

·
Registered
956 Posts
It is an AGM battery, snowmoer. I’m going to fill the acid later today.
I've never used my Tender,1.25 am,) to initialize a battery. As Snowmoer said , they automatically go into storage mode. Make sure you leave the battery sit before charging.
If you are buying it from a battery dealer, they may do the initial charge for you. You may be able to pick up a cheap small battery charger that has a 2 amp range.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I filled the 6 cells with acid, let it sit an hour, and then hooked it up to my battery tender jr (charging current at .75 amps). While charging, I kept the 6 top plastic plugs off as the directions stated to replace those after charging and before installing battery. So during charging, there was just small amount of acid sort of fizzing/bubbling out. I watched some YouTube videos and decided (after several hours of charging with plugs off) to put plugs back on. At this time, my voltameter read 13.0v but charger still indicated charging normally so I’m assuming it’s still charging. Because I had to go to work, I took battery off charger for the duration. At this point, I’m tempted to just put the battery on the bike and see. Last thing I want is to over charge. Any ideas?

·
Registered
255 Posts
The bubbling/fizzing is normal. Put it back on your charger until it goes to maintain mode. Then put it in the bike. Letting the battery sit after you put the acid in is the big step that most people do not do. Not doing that is what shortens the life of the battery.

I just looked, and there are only a few 2/10/25 or 50 amp start chargers out there. Everything has gone to maintainers. Glad I still have my good old Schumacher 1 amp motorcycle battery charger!

·
Registered
956 Posts
I filled the 6 cells with acid, let it sit an hour, and then hooked it up to my battery tender jr (charging current at .75 amps). While charging, I kept the 6 top plastic plugs off as the directions stated to replace those after charging and before installing battery. So during charging, there was just small amount of acid sort of fizzing/bubbling out. I watched some YouTube videos and decided (after several hours of charging with plugs off) to put plugs back on. At this time, my voltameter read 13.0v but charger still indicated charging normally so I’m assuming it’s still charging. Because I had to go to work, I took battery off charger for the duration. At this point, I’m tempted to just put the battery on the bike and see. Last thing I want is to over charge. Any ideas?
You should have left the charger connected. A .75 amp charger will take almost 24 hours to completely charge the battery. Keep the caps off as per the instructions.
The Battery Tender will not overcharge the battery.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks bcihil. I was concerned that I was getting 13+v readings and I wouldn’t be home. But it’s still on my table; gonna plug it in when I get home. This was my first attempt at filling a new battery.

·
Registered
956 Posts
The bubbling/fizzing is normal. Put it back on your charger until it goes to maintain mode. Then put it in the bike. Letting the battery sit after you put the acid in is the big step that most people do not do. Not doing that is what shortens the life of the battery.

I just looked, and there are only a few 2/10/25 or 50 amp start chargers out there. Everything has gone to maintainers. Glad I still have my good old Schumacher 1 amp motorcycle battery charger!
Your correct, very few low amp chargers out there. I still have my original 2 amp charger, probably 40 years old, but it still works.
Thanks bcihil. I was concerned that I was getting 13+v readings and I wouldn’t be home. But it’s still on my table; gonna plug it in when I get home. This was my first attempt at filling a new battery.
Not unusual for a battery to read just over 14 volts while charging, that's the voltage of the charger. After a full charge the battery should settle down to 12.5-12.75 volts.
you said your Using a battery Tender. It's smart enough to limit the charge voltage and current.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Your correct, very few low amp chargers out there. I still have my original 2 amp charger, probably 40 years old, but it still works.

Not unusual for a battery to read just over 14 volts while charging, that's the voltage of the charger. After a full charge the battery should settle down to 12.5-12.75 volts.
you said your Using a battery Tender. It's smart enough to limit the charge voltage and current.
Right, the alternator is normally putting out 14.x volts itself so not a problem. Good info on the battery setup. Not sure I followed this on one of my batteries.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts