Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am new to the gold wing world, I have a question about the linked brakes. I understand how they work, but I am wondering what everyone uses. Both front and back or maybe just front? Any input would be great. I use front and back.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
i don't like linked brakes very much

·
Registered
691 Posts
I like them. Use both. Both for emergency stopps, rear for most and front only to slow down while feet on hwy boards.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
i don't like linked brakes very much
I dont understand why folks dont like them. I would assume that if my riding skills were at a higher place I could understand. This is by no means trying to sarcastic or negative toward anyone :D Can you explain please what I am missing thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
I use back w/linked front brake most of the time, but when I really gotta stop I use the front also.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm new to linked brakes and I like them. I use both but more pressure on front. After all there are two discs up front for a reason.

·
Premium Member
23,765 Posts
I use both to slow down. On the landing approach I use the front only to keep my soles free to touch down. When the Mrs. is on board I try to favor the rear pedal to mitigate helmet knock.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
I dont understand why folks dont like them. I would assume that if my riding skills were at a higher place I could understand. This is by no means trying to sarcastic or negative toward anyone :D Can you explain please what I am missing thanks
the linked brakes on a 1200 and 1500 wing are different that the setup on the 1800 wing. on 1200 and 1500 wings the brake pedal controls one front disc and the rear rotor. i perfer to use what i am use to front brakes working off the lever and the rear off the pedal the linked brakes feel mushy on every wing withlinked brakes i have ridden and that includes some with ss brake lined

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
I use the Chopin technique as well.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
As a rule I try to use both brakes together as much as possible. I'm a true believer that in a emergency stop situation you go by instinct and switch into auto pilot. The exception to the rule is low speeds (example a parking lot) only the back brake (linked of course).

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I like the brakes on my '09, but I also have ABS. My ST had no ABS and a very similar linked brake system to my GL including the proprtioning valve. Other than the increase in weight between the two bikes (166 lb) the braking perfomance wasn't a huge difference. After hopping on the ST from the Vulcan (less than 50#difference) I expected the brakes on the ST would scared the heck out of me. No way. The front binder on the Vulcan was fine (not great) but the rear would lock in a heartbeat and very little pressure. Having ridden CBR's of both size prior to the ST, I figured the brakes would be as aggressive as those. Pretty easy to do an unplanned stoppie on a non-ABS CBR. The combined system all but eliminates even the most intentional abuse of braking power. I'm not saying I can modulate brakes like a MotoGP racer, but it's a moot point since it isn't necessary anymore. You can get ham fisted with ST or GL brakes and not worry about the front locking and sliding out from under, and well a stoppie on a Goldwing isn't likely in the cards. On none of my Wings or the ST have I ever had the rear brake lock and I did two real life emergency panic stops on the 1200 and 1500 (one on each, no crashes or flops). I did some pretty severe panick stop practice on my ST when I first got it and never had the feeling that I was over my head. That's something I practice every season on every bike I"ve owned since 1980.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Front brake at high speed for a little tap (but I am finding the pedal with my foot)
Front brake at slow speed to stop, so long as I am going straight. gives my legs a chance to stretch and put both feet on the ground.

Rear pedal if I need to Whoa it up + front (if I am going straight)

What in the heck is a helmet knock? Sounds like a booty call for polite bikers.
Iz this sum kina u-fuh-mizm????

·
Registered
141 Posts
Anyone know what brake pressure differentials are applied with either hand or foot--is it 50/50 front and back, or more likely 60% or more to the front wheel. I assume both the hand lever and foot pedal produce the same braking differential to front and rear brakes.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The linked brake system uses a proprtioning valve that adjusts pressure for given braking force and speed. I'm not totally up on the intricacies of the system, but it adjusts front/rear differential in conjunction with the ABS (if you have it) to reduce front end dive and prevent lock-up. Even without ABS the proportioning valve distributes the brake force according to the parameters set within the system. Just what the differential values are I don't know. Honda uses this or very similar systems on many of their models with the linked/combined brakes.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Front brake at high speed for a little tap (but I am finding the pedal with my foot)
Front brake at slow speed to stop, so long as I am going straight. gives my legs a chance to stretch and put both feet on the ground.

Rear pedal if I need to Whoa it up + front (if I am going straight)

What in the heck is a helmet knock? Sounds like a booty call for polite bikers.
Iz this sum kina u-fuh-mizm????
LOL..helmet knock is when you hit the brakes and your passenger is not ready or paying attention..your helmets "knock' together:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts