Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was going to just PM Trike Lady Val about this, but ours is a learning/troubleshooting forum, too, so I appreciate help with this one.

The brake lights on my '85 Aspy are stuck "on". After checking the Clymer manual, cleaning the front and rear brake switches and checking fuses, I believe my brake light relay has simply stuck closed. Went to the local Honda dealer today and the closest thing we could find that looked like the Clymer photo is called a "Check Unit", part number 37640-MB1-701. Of course, it's $100 (!!##**@@:mad:! it's a simple relay!). I didn't want to buy it until I know for sure that it's a brake light relay, so here I sit.

Can anyone crosscheck other sources than what I have and offer some help? It would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kevin

·
Super Moderator
7,611 Posts
If you unplug the brake light switches will the lights go out, when the key is turned on?
If you plug the front switch in and the lights stay off, good.
If you plug in the rear switch and the lights come on, the rear brake light switch may need to be adjusted.
If you need the part it's cheaper at www.hondapartsnation.com.
Even here it's a better price: http://www.ronayers.com/Search/N/687

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is so valuable to have friends here who can offer objective, experienced advice! I just disconnected the rear brake switch with key on and it dropped to the running lights in back. Yep, that's the first thing, it needs adjustment. Sometimes you just need somebody to think differently about what's right in front of your face!:D

Thank you, Val!

I'll let you know if that's it entirely. Kevin

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was it, Val! All's well now. Another bunch of time and money saved by being a member of the GWOF! :D:D:D

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Kev, I punched that # inot my parts system and it comes up as a lamp assembly and full retail is $60. Did that dealer give you the right part #? I know your issue is fixed, but I wanted to check it out anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Daryl,

I've already shredded the document from Tousley Motorsports in White Bear Lake, MN, but I recall the price of the relay being about $95, and about $103 with tax. Apparently they're taking an additional 50% local margin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.