Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't purchased the shop manual for a gold wing, yet. Have a small issue... Need to replace brake lever.

Is this a straight-forward, relatively easy procedure with everything easy to see, or are there "tricks of the trade" of which I should be aware before I start? I don't have the replacement yet. Hope to have it before the end of the day. Was just one of those stupid things that happen when you park the bike in the weather; little lean into the sidestand and high winds.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
It should be pretty straight forward. There shouldn't be anything that will fly apart, just watch out for spacer washers.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Forgive me if I'm covering ground you've already been over, but I believe there was a recall on the 2001 frames. You may want to have yours checked out if you haven't done so.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brake lever, etc.

You were right, very easy and without spacers or washers. And thank you for the notice on the recall; I will double check to assure it was done. No one mentioned "recall" when I had the wheel checked, however they did check the frame and reported nothing remarkable.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Only thing on the brake lever install do not over tighten. Could cause it not to return to the full open position. then the brake lights stays on and cruise won't set.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Torque wrenches

I usually have dreadful problems with wrenching things down way too tight, which is why I end up with shop manuals for things. And a torque wrench. Thanks for the "heads up." I did check to be sure the lever returned to its original position but I hadn't thought about the cruise, or being sure the brake light went off.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Good point Ron, torque specs on moving parts are critical at times. Capt, do yourself a favour and get that manual!!!:D
BTW, you can check for your frame recall but looking at teh VIN plate. If the recall was done there will be a punch mark on the upper or lower right side of the plate/sticker.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts