Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 87 Goldwing. During the winter, I keep bike in garage with wheel turned to right. I noticed the bike was leaking brake fluid right where the brake hose goes onto caliper. I now have brake fluid all over rotor. Is there a seal between the caliper and brake hose? I removed the front pads and they have brake fluid on them. I used brake clean to clean up the rotor. Can I use brake clean to clean up pads? The brake hose looks to be in great shape, no evidence of cracking.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello pete and welcome to GWOF. if its leaking at the end of the hose at the caliper the crush washers between the banjo bolt and caliper may be bad but try tightening the bolt first. if its leaking from inside the caliper you'll need a rebuild kit for the caliper

·
Registered
91 Posts
You might be able to clean the brake pads with brake cleaner, but I personally would replace the pads. Pads are not that expensive and my entire life depends on my front brakes working everytime. I would not risk using a set of contaminated pads just to save $60. Depending how long the brake fluid has been leaking on the pads, it might have soaked quite deeply inside the pads so it might never come out completely, again I would recomend replacing the pads..

Gary

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's what I was thinking about the pads. The brake hose bolt is tight. I thought it was the brake light to caliper leaking but it might be the caliper. I'll take a closer look. If it's the caliper, where can I get that rebuild kit for the caliper? Is it difficult to rebuild the caliper? do you need special tools? I do have the shop manual for the 87 Honda somewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking more at the caliper and how the pads are covered with brake fluid, it looks like both calipers needs rebuilding. Why are these rebuild kits so expensive? It's basically 4 new rubber O-rings that get changed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts