Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new to me 2008 is covered in fine black dust. Both wheels, the whole underside of the shelf, top of the tank area and all under the seat. Would this be from OEM brake pads or do you think they were replaced with something else?

·
Registered
2012 gl1800
1,460 Posts
I doubt that the dust is from the brake pads. While the rear wheel may have some brake dust accumulated, 99% is from road dust being trapped in that area. I have never had much dust at all on the front wheel of my 2012. Dust under the seat is inevitable since it gets trapped there. Mine gets filthy under the seat. I pull my seat once a year and wipe everything down. I would blame it on just normal dust on the roads.
What Stowe PA are you talking about, the one near Pittsburgh or the one near Pottstown?
Near Pittsburgh is Neville Island, a big industrial area and near Reading you have a quarry. There is no where that you won't accumulate road dust.

·
1,091 Posts
The guys around here have had a lot of dust from EBC and DP pads on the 1500 and 1800’s. Vesrah pads are supposed to work very well, some say better than OEM, and produce as little dust as OEM. I know Traxxion dynamics sells them. If your issue is dust from your own brake pads. Then if they are OEM you dust is atmospheric.

·
Registered
193 Posts
People always attribute black dust to the brake pads, which I am sure is the source for some of it, but tires give off dust as they wear too, and we all know what color they are.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
2012 gl1800
1,460 Posts
People always attribute black dust to the brake pads, which I am sure is the source for some of it, but tires give off dust as they wear too, and we all know what color they are.

Just some food for thought.
Along with normal wear and tear of road surfaces. Even 'normal' dust on asphalt turns black. My rear wheel collects a lot of dust, but it is not actually black, more of a gray color, front wheel not so much. Under the seat and shelter, it's a much lighter color.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Just look at your car after driving on a rainy day
A nice black film everywhere

Reactions: Afghanpilot
1 - 7 of 7 Posts