Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These questions may have been previously answered but a search of the forums was unsuccessful in providing answers. I am obviously still a relatively new wing rider and have at least two questions: (1) If the brake system is "integrated" how much braking percentage is applied to the "un"braked wheel if I apply the brakes independently? (2) It seems to be common knowledge the speedometer is "off." Is it a consistent 4 mph at any/all speeds, or does it depend on some percentage of speed, i.e., if it's 4 mph low at 70; it's actually 33 mph when the speedometer indicates 35 mph?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Integrated braking is just that one caliper on the front is controlled with the hand lever, while the foot lever applies pressure to the rear caliper and the other front caliper. At least on the 1500. Now is gets a little more confusing on the 1800.
Speedo error is percentage, usually less than 1%.
On my 1500, when I hooked up my Garmin GPS on the bike, I compared the speed on the GPS with the speedo. At 65 mph on the GPS, the speedo showed about 67-68, Now if that variance is from lag in signal timing. I can't tell you. From what I hear there is a bigger error on the 1800s.
Nowadays it seem everyone has a GPS, hook one up on the bike and check it out, I'm using a GPS designed for a car, suction cup that puppy to the windshield and I installed a power outlet on the bike. I don't have the unit out when in the rain, can't say the suction cup has fell off but maybe one time (unit didn't go far), did have gimbal pop off once on hitting a bad pothole. Biggest problem is keeping the screen in position on these Ohio roads, display tends to bounce around changing line of sight

·
Administrator
15,320 Posts
I think they fixed the speedometer on the 2010 models. Mine is spot on with my GPS. Not sure what bike you have.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Integrated brakes, etc.

I forgot my bike description doesn't appear. I have a 2001, which would be an 1800, and therefore is an unresolved issue. I've read through the owner's manual which reports an integrated brake system which applies fully to the applied brake and applies partial braking power to the "un"braked wheel if the brakes are applied individually. I can't find anything in the owner's or shop manual that indicates how much braking is applied to the rear if I only apply the front or vice versa. On the speedometer I believe I have correctly found the error at about 4 mph at 70 (displayed) which would be 66 (actual speed). In PA we have a lot of radar displays and I was careful to pick those on straightaways. I've timed mile stretches on the interstates running at a displayed 65 at about 58 seconds; that's just slightly over 60 mph. I was just wondering if anyone else had figured the error factor as constant or a percentage.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
I checked my speedo on the test section of the highway last week. Mine reads high by .1 km in 5 or 2%. So at 100 kph indicated I'm doing 98 or 60.76 mph. If I'm reading an indicated 160kph (100 mph) then I'm doing 156.8 (97.2 mph) assuming it's an even 2% variance all the way through. Might save a couple bucks on the fine:rolleyes: unless you go into the jail zone of 50 kph over then yer kinda toast around here.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Oops, forgot about the brakes. The 1800 has a 'combined linked system (for ABS models) where the lever controls the outer two pistons on the left front caliper, the inner piston on the right, and the inner piston on the rear. The brake pedal controls the inner left and the outer two pisotnons on the right front caliper. The older systems liek on the 1200 and 1500 (I forget about the 1100s if they were linked at all) did the left disc with the lever and the pedal doing the right disc and rear disc if memory serves.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.