Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I',m considering buying one of those lowering brackets (1800 lowrider) for my 06 wing as I'm only 5'8''. Can anyone tell me me their opinion re; handling, cornering etc, after having one of these installed?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I don't have one of those but anytime you lower a bike you will lose ground clearance, I would try lowering your seat first, try boots with a higher heel, lowering the wing should be your last resort. I'm 5'9' and have no problem flat footing the ground when on my wing,

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
i agree with joe. also lowering the bike will change the angle at which the centerstand contacts the ground

·
Premium Member
23,765 Posts
I agree. 1 in. lower and you'll probably have to wait for your neighbor to get home to get that beast up on the center stand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I Lower mine 1 1/4" front and back. I am 5' 5 1/2". Use to be 5' 6", Think I am shrinking in my old age, LOL. I have not notice any difference in handling yet. Use to own HD (Ultra) and had to have them lower also. I still own a 2007 softtail that has been lower. I scrap the boards on it all the time. I have not had that problem with the my 2010, 1800 goldwing. I did also change the center stand when I lower the wing.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Lots of owners lower their bikes for comfort, ease of management, aesthetics whatever. It's all well and good to do it and say to yourself you are prepared for the lack of clearance, but in an emergency, it may not be enough. All manufacturers have handling traits and limits built in to them by the engineers for given operational parameters. Owner beware.

·
Super Moderator
7,660 Posts
Joe said it best and it's safer.
Have the foam reshaped in the seat and a boot with a thicker sole.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I will add one more voice to the chorus--explore ALL options prior to lowering your bike. Just came off of an '09 Ultra I had lowered as part of the new purchase. No doubt but what that contributed to my dissatisfaction with that bike. Biggest issue was the ride, travel in the suspension for two up was way too short, bottomed out all the time, with many different settings on the air shocks. Then there was the matter of a kick stand that left the bike too upright when parked. Had to be real careful where it was parked, and make sure the slope of the pavement was right, or the bike wanted to fall to the right--never did, but it wanted to. I am 5'7.5", w/30" inseam, and my stock '08 Wing and I get along very well, at a stop I slide slightly forward on the seat, to the narrower portion, and I can get my heals on the ground, with shoes having a sole about an inch thick. Also I use a lower setting on the rear shock when riding, about 3 to 5. And then when I get ready to put it on the center stand, I run the rear shock up to the max, 25 I think it is--makes a huge difference. Good Luck--and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Riding Hard

I',m considering buying one of those lowering brackets (1800 lowrider) for my 06 wing as I'm only 5'8''. Can anyone tell me me their opinion re; handling, cornering etc, after having one of these installed?
Lowering the 1800 along with dropping the front end improves the handling. The center stand should be removed or replaced as it is the lowest part on the 1800. I have mine lowered 1-1/4". My wife and I rode the Tail of the Dragon this year with ease. Yes the side clearance is lessened but is still safer for shorter people unless they are dragging pegs a lot before it is lowered. I understand that it isn't as weight friendly but I love mine. We arn't heavy-weights. The web-site seems to have many happy customers on the feedback section.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts