Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all and thanks for taking the time to look at my post.

I just bought a 2002 Goldwing from a lady who's husband died and she is finally letting it go. It only has 8,900 and it has sat for a year or more or at leat enough to need a new battery. She had one of his friends come over and wash it , install the battery and ride it around a bit before we got there so I don't know if it was hard to start or not. It was deffinately taken care when he was around but I don't know if she ever let anyone borrow it or start it up from time to time. My question is what to do now? Oil change is for sure but does the brake fluid need to be changed, any other fluids, adjustments or services needed? If I just take it to the Honda dealer, what do I need to tell them to do?

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
change oil check tires for flat spots. what color is the brake fluid? the lighter the color is the better

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to pick it up tomorrow so I will check the fluid. How long is brake fluid good for? They told me to change it on my VStar 1100 every 4 years. If it has flat spots, will they go away or would it need new tires?

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Change the oil and filter. I would change the clutch, brake and coolant fluids as well. New tires may be a good investment especially if they are 8 year old. There should be a MFG date on the side wall. I would also take the VIN # to a honda dealer to see if the bike was affected by the frame recall and if so was it done.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Change the oil and filter. I would change the clutch, brake and coolant fluids as well. New tires may be a good investment especially if they are 8 year old. There should be a MFG date on the side wall. I would also take the VIN # to a honda dealer to see if the bike was affected by the frame recall and if so was it done.
I had no Idea of a recall. If it is effected by the recall, will they still fix it or is it that big a deal?

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
The recall was for a cracked frame and it is a big deal, especiall if it breaks loose while riding. I don't know if there is a time restriction to the recall, only the Honda dealer can tell you, but the notice does say it is in effect until all units are checked/corrected. Here is the notice about the recall..

http://www.ridersrally.com/sb/sb14.pdf

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked up the frame recall and found at least 5 more! Lets see, there is the cooling system for over heating, driveshaft boot, brake recall, sensor unit, rear brake rotor, cupping on the tires (and yes they are doing it) and even the radio has a recall on it. Now I am wondering if it is worth it or am I just too worried about it. I have owned a lot of Honda products, ATV's and thought one day I could have a Goldwing and by chance I got a good enough deal to finaly get one and it has a ton of recalls!

Here is the situation at hand. The bike in question is the 02 model that was custom ordered with every option it could have and I don't know if it came from the dealer or not but there is even the wood grain peices all over the place on it. The owner broke his back and couldn't ride so he sold it to the people I am buying it off of when it only had 250 miles on it. Then the new owner put close to $4000 worth of kyurgan pedals, shifters, rails, chrome plates, turned down pipes (don't know if they are stock or not), new widsheild and other peices on it then he died. Now the wife is selling it to me for $11,000. The bike is in excellent + shape as it has been garaged and taken care of but I don't know if all the recall stuff has been done, if the last owners knew about the recalls or not (I'll have to ask).

Should I still go through with the sale and deal with all the issues or pass on it?

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
KBB lists resale value at $10,950 without options. Seems like that one has quite a few options, but what one person would put on their bike, another would not. So options are personal choices and you may or may not like what is on there.

About the recalls, except for the frame and the cooling system, many of the Goldwings were not affected by the recalls. Even if yours was affected by the recall, after they are fixed they were fine. There are a lot of 2002 Goldwings out there with 100k's miles on them and still going strong. If you have doubts have the bike checked by the dealer. Once he gives you his assessment, then make your choice. You will love the Wing, but you have to be comfortable with your purchase. Good luck and let us know how it works out...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First off, thank you for your time.

I feel better now and will take it to a dealer and have them go over it for me as I really like the look of the bike and the price is fine as well. We got all the original parts, new Goldwing jackets, covers and tiedown straps with the deal. I have been looking for a while and you do not find a lot of GW's for sale used unless they are 1980's dated. I wanted a new one but the prices were a little up there for now and this one looks new and has everything you could ever put on it already. I have a VStar1100 Silverado now but the boy and I together are over the weight rating and after about 45 min we need to get off our butts! I tried the Ultimate seats but they didn't work for the grand we spent on them. Since we only have a couple years until he will be off to collage, the GW seems the best idea now and I might even get the wife to come with me now it will be more comfy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts