Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my wing on a trailer to the shop for 40K mile service. Fluids, brakes, all of the normal stuff. Had to take it on the trailer because couldn't find anyone to pick me up there. (I hate seeing it on a trailer) The bike was running fine. Then picked it up on the trailer. When I got home I managed to have the trailer gate at the slightly wrong angle, and the bike "Bottomed Out" so slightly I barely felt and/or heard it. Drove it around and parked it. The next morning there was a nice puddle of coolant on the ground. I managed to puncture the coolant water bottle. What is up with that?... The shop has a new one on order... My question is.... Is there any protective plates or something that can be put on the bottom of the bike to protect it from damage? I found myself a year or so ago on a road with some radical ruts in it, (construction area) and bottomed out there. I am lucky I didn't mess something up there. The last few bikes I have owned have a plate.:confused:

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Belly pans are available for your Wing, most suggest the 2 piece version but I've heard to be careful when installing it because the metal is very sharp.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks..... I talked to my "WING MAN" at the shop. (All he works on are wings) He has the aluminum one. He says the steel one if dinged was impossible to straighten out. The aluminum one may not protect quite as good, but good enough and it can be repaired if needed. I wonder if he wants me to have the aluminum one, because he has them in stock???? Ha Ha. Anyway... The bottle will be in Tuesday, and I am having both put on.

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
There's nothing gentle about 900+ lbs coming down on your overflo bottle. Belly pans have their place, but they are a deflector not armour plating. I'd still opt for the security of SS over aluminum though; and my stainless/vented belly pan is on the shelf in the garage for that last year and a half. Backing a bike off a trailer can present it's own problems too, like snagging the louvers or the seam where the front section connects together with the rear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts