Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now that Tatanka is running fine, it's time to get to work on the '83 1100 that came with him. I've decided to call him "Bobo", a Carolina friendly nickname for guys named Bob/Robert. Bo for short.

Pulled the seat, rear racks, Vetter faring, carb covers, gas tank cover, and this is what he looks like naked and without any cleaning.

Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Fuel line

Tatanka didn't look much better, and Bo's throttle and choke at least move a little, T's didn't at all. He's had 2-cycle oil soaking his rings for 3 months, and has been turned over a bit several times. So, like we discuss often here with Classic Wings, the intake system comes off for a thorough bench carb inspection and cleaning (I know that makes you happy, knelson!:D) Rubber will get close inspection. Once that's done, reassemble with intakes tight and new air filter, add some fuel with 1/2oz of Seafoam per gallon and see if he'll fire.:eek:

This bike has not run for at least 9 years. When the oil was drained it smelled like it was half gas, so I'll be looking real close at floats and needle valves. It would be great if a stuck float or level adjustment is all it needs! And, it's likely to take more than that, not just some time to run well enough to sell for a good price. At least I know the crankcase is clean, right?, I mean with all the gas in the old oil? Not so much. I can safely assume that the gas that leaked into the crankcase was treated with ethanol, which attracts water like a sponge. So, we changed the oil to a decent 10-30 conventional to re-swell the gaskets and to soak all critical internal parts with fresh oil without gas or water in it. We'll see.

Oh yeah, here's a photo of Tatanka, too. He's being bashful because he knows he needs a bath and some polishing (my slackest area of motorcycle work.)

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle

Wish me luck! I'll be seeking help on Bobo, starting with a manual. Anybody got one, new or used, they'd like to sell?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Now that Tatanka is running fine, it's time to get to work on the '83 1100 that came with him. I've decided to call him "Bobo", a Carolina friendly nickname for guys named Bob/Robert. Bo for short.

Pulled the seat, rear racks, Vetter faring, carb covers, gas tank cover, and this is what he looks like naked and without any cleaning.

View attachment 6754

Tatanka didn't look much better, and Bo's throttle and choke at least move a little, T's didn't at all. He's had 2-cycle oil soaking his rings for 3 months, and has been turned over a bit several times. So, like we discuss often here with Classic Wings, the intake system comes off for a thorough bench carb inspection and cleaning (I know that makes you happy, knelson!:D) Rubber will get close inspection. Once that's done, reassemble with intakes tight and new air filter, add some fuel with 1/2oz of Seafoam per gallon and see if he'll fire.:eek:

This bike has not run for at least 9 years. When the oil was drained it smelled like it was half gas, so I'll be looking real close at floats and needle valves. It would be great if a stuck float or level adjustment is all it needs! And, it's likely to take more than that, not just some time to run well enough to sell for a good price. At least I know the crankcase is clean, right?, I mean with all the gas in the old oil? Not so much. I can safely assume that the gas that leaked into the crankcase was treated with ethanol, which attracts water like a sponge. So, we changed the oil to a decent 10-30 conventional to re-swell the gaskets and to soak all critical internal parts with fresh oil without gas or water in it. We'll see.

Oh yeah, here's a photo of Tatanka, too. He's being bashful because he knows he needs a bath and some polishing (my slackest area of motorcycle work.)

View attachment 6755

Wish me luck! I'll be seeking help on Bobo, starting with a manual. Anybody got one, new or used, they'd like to sell?
Ahh a true craftsman at work it just warms my heart. Bobo looks like a fun project. I wish I could be there to help out. Tatanka looks a little nervous with Bobo stripped down.:D
Perhaps you could pull the plugs and add some MMO to each cylinder and let it soak while your working on the rest of the bike. 9 years of sitting after having fuel wash down the cylinders into the crankcase I am sure the rings could use some lube before cranking it over. thanks for the pictures. Tell Tatanka not to be bashful as it is a nice looking Wing.

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts
good luck with your new project, hope all goes well and you get this one back on the road soon

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Doc. Knelson, believe me: I wish you were here to help, too! Oh well, time to man up I guess!:eek:

·
Registered
183 Posts
don't ya love starting a new project. Bobo looks like a fun one. ever thought about bobbing Bobo. I have the coucilor =86 1200 as a daily driver, then i have the twisted clown = 82 1100. me and the twisted clown have been threw a alot, can't bring myself to let it go, so she sits in the corner for now covered up. i have decided to strip her naked maybe a bit of custom work ya no a lift here a tuck there make her something sexy

·
Premium Member
24,515 Posts
Have fun with Bobo. Looks like it already has some different headcovers:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hey Alien,

What do you mean by "bobbing" Bobo? It's not like "Honkin' on Bobo" is it? (Aerosmith's last original CD, I believe) Tatanka has adopted Bobo as a little brother, so if anybody wants to "Honk on Bobo" they'll have to deal with him!:eek::D To paraphrase Toby Keith: "He'll put a horn in your *ss, it's the American (Bison) way!"

·
Premium Member
24,515 Posts
I'd love to do a naked early bike something like those. Don't think I'd enjoy living in the trailer for the rest of time though:eek:

·
Super Moderator
10,055 Posts
At least put a sheet over the poor thing. How embarrassing....

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Charlie,

I would cover Bobo up, but I'm trying to build up Tatanka's self-esteem! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts