Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently ride an 05 BMW K1200LT with a mere 70K on the clock but am thinking of going to a Goldwing for no logical reason other than maybe the Wing is a little easier to maneuver in a parking lot two-up & loaded. I love my LT (2nd one) and the fat lady has been good to me. It looks as if BMW is getting out of the luxury touring market. I guess I just want something newer. I had a few wings in the past 1000 & 1200 but did not ride as much as I do today. I test rode a 2010 Wing last week and was favorably impressed. My short ride through the canyons proved to me she could handle the twisty’s. Are there any former LT riders on this forum and what were the pros & cons of the wing vs. the LT. I’m looking at two Wings a 08 leftover and the 2010. What are the differences? The cost of BMW servicing forces one to learn how to do a few things. How tough is to do a basic service, i.e. fluids, plugs & filters? I look forward to hearing from folks on this forum.

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Howdy ... To Bad Bmw Is Getting Out Of The Lux. Touring Models They Make Great Machines ... Both The 08 And 010 Are Very Good Rides ... I'm Hearing About Problems With The Gps Systems That They Are Older Edition Garmin Models And That You Have To Pay For The Updates ... On My 1200 I Use My Tom-tom Gps In The Truck And Bike And The Updates Are Free ... Also The Heated Seats And Grips Are Having Probs. ... Happy Trails ...

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I've never owned a Beemer, but have ridden a few over the years. The LT was/is a great machine and with it gone, I wonder who Honda has left to keep making improvements to compare? If it wasn't for the LT, the 1800's may never have had the handling improvements it does. The K1200 outdid the GL's in the agility segment until the latest upgrade in I believe '05 or '06, when the journalists said the GL stepped ahead somewhat. That is of course a very subjective opinion and still open for arguement. I only have 5000 mi on my '09, but have had no gripes with the heaters as yet (never had them on a bike before and love 'em). The GPS is weak compared to my aviation units, but it does work. It's funny that my 295 Garmin portable is way more capable at half the cost of the built in in my bike or my wife's RL, but then we do live in the sticks up here. Ditto on the non-current models and there relatively low buy in compared to the 2010's. Search well and do your due dilligence. It will pay off big time I'm sure.

·
Registered
34 Posts
one diff between '08 and '10 is the nav system... in 09 & up it can integrate with an XM subscription to display weather and traffic maps on your display... the '08 does not integrate with XM.
With the miles you ride I'm sure you've looked at clouds ahead wondering if they're 1 mile or 10 miles deep... I'm one week into my 90 day free XM trial and have used the weather maps with ease and pleasure... though not impressed with the traffic alerts/maps

·
Registered
15 Posts
on the 08 different nav program and will not be updated by garmin the 10 model has the newer system and garmin and honda will support it for now I own 08 and if really nav was an issue would go aftermarkrt and mount one as factory unit leves a lot to be desired if one wants to program and load routes this is a topic on the saunders board and the Gl1800 riders board your choice your money ride safe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts