Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here on 2018 Tour. I’m sure this has come up before. I am looking at the Cardo Scala Rider Freecom 4 (not 4+). Does anyone have any Real World experience with these units. Reviews on line look good. My wife and I aren’t tech-heads and this is our breakaway from The Cord.
My real question is “can you communicate rider to passenger while streaming music”? From what I’ve read in reviews, it looks like NO, but maybe that is without touching the Bluetooth control buttons?
Price is very attractive vs 4+ units (almost half price). Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
28,031 Posts
We have the Freecom 2's. Mostly we just talk, so I can't say for sure but I know that while talking if the GPS is on it will just go over the voice, as well as if the phone rings. So I assume the music will do the same. When i say "goes over the voice", I mean it silences talking while transmitting the other task. Not sure if this makes sense. :dunno:

Actually the only reason I know the GPS and Phone thing is by mistake. The only thing wife and I do is talk. Not big on all the other features. Sorry I can't be of more help.

The one thing I do know is when we were in Texas to ride the new Wings, we couldn't sync our Freecoms to the bike because we were among a whole slew of other ones. So when you do finally push the button and need to sync the headsets just be sure that you are away from other bikes and such.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. The 4+ is almost double the price of the 4. We don’t care about a lot of the tech doodads either. It would be nice to be able to communicate over streamed music and have the music kick down until we are silent.

·
Super Moderator
28,031 Posts
That's how it will work, I am fairly certain

The 4 and more is to be able to communicate with other bikes. If it's just you two then you may want to consider the Freecom 2 like we have. That's why we chose it, I only ever want to talk to her when on the bike.

The 2 only goes between rider and passenger...not bike to bike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
As far as I know you can stream as well as talk to passenger on most of the Cardo units. On the Cardo website, it showed that you can. I, along with two friends stepped up to the Packtalk from an older Cardo system. Another buddy has the Freecom 2 or 2+ I believe and we can talk and he can stream his music. For us to communicate I just change to Bluetooth instead of the DMC mode and all is good. On our 10 day trip in June, batteries would last all day and then we always charged overnight.

I do recommend Cardo products.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Bluetooth ,,OR ??

Thanks for your input. The 4+ is almost double the price of the 4. We don’t care about a lot of the tech doodads either. It would be nice to be able to communicate over streamed music and have the music kick down until we are silent.
Just a new owner, wife and i want to talk and listen to music, we have the connections that came on the bike but no headset stuff. So do we go bluetooth and get all that our iphones do ,,,Or get the oem stuff with push to talk ,,etc?
What is out there that works well in bluetooth, My son has a cheaper Bluetooth set-up on his bike but says sometimes it doesn't work well. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
28,031 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
@Allenhillview if it's just you two that you wish to communicate with check out my Aforementioned Scala Cardo Freecom 2's the work fantastic for our needs and are very reasonably priced.

Will it also work with my CB that came on the bike, mute radio all the stuff I don't know about yet, lol,,,,really though I don't know what works with what yet I'm a first time owner.

·
Super Moderator
28,031 Posts
Hmmm, not sure about CB...maybe a call to Cardo is in order?

You may need one of their more geewiz models.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I haven't had that good of luck with Cardo on my 2018 Wing. I finally bought a Bluetooth headset from J&M and am now connected. The Cardo seemed to have a mind of its own and would connect when it damn well felt like it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the Cardo pack talk bolds. The wife and I have no issues on the 2018 GW. When we talk the music turns down then kicks back up after we stop. Answer calls and then back to music. Works great with my iPhone XR

·
Registered
70 Posts
there are issues with the freecom 4 that havent been worked out. the music will cut off when you begin communicating but it wont go back on. i had to reboot each time. i ended up going with the Bolds. they worked perfectly and the JBL speakers rock. now, I just stick the 4 in the cubby and am able to use car play, when i dont wear a helmet.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Lexin is another option to look at. We bought just helmet to helmet communication as the ole 1500 doesn't have any of the new fangled GPS or sound system and according to the instructions has the ability to connect to multiple devices.

·
Registered
70 Posts
dont be me. i bought a couple of different headsets and ended up with the pack talk bolds in the end. theyll do everything you want, and a lot more, even if you think youll never use those features. theyll allow you to max the capabilities of the GW...but youll need an iphone as well, in order to do that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Cardo Packtalks are the premium headsets on the market. I have dirt riding buddies who have purchased them, an adventure riding buddy who purchased one, and many touring buddies and relatives who have purchased them, all on advice from me. Linking up on DMC (Dynamic Mesh Communication) is easy. Intercom communication is robust and self-healing. Bluetooth capability is the same as the rest of the industry making for easy links to the Goldwing, smartphones, etc. They can be controlled by an spp that is downloaded onto your smart phone which gives you an alternative method of linking everything, DMC and Bluetooth, visually simple if you can't remember the button sequence on the unit itself. For an idea about the ease of linking them see Motogeek Freak on YouTube with his simple videos on the Packtalk or Packtalk Bold.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts