Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my used (1,000 miles old) 2018 goldwing tour dct. I’m trying to pair my Sena srl 2 Bluetooth, with my bike. No soap...Ive tried a dozen different ways to get it done with zero success. Hondas site doesn’t work, sena site doesn’t work, none of the methods I found on the various web sites have worked. I can pair two helmets and my iPhone together; but with or without the phone paired, I cant get paired to the bike. Out of 30 or 40 try’s, Ive got the bike to see the srl three times, but pairing was never successful. Batteries are fully charged. I know I’m a bozo, but good lord, it shouldn’t be this difficult. If there is a winger out there with a doctorate in Bluetooth setup, I’m willing to grovel for a step by step. Downloading the latest nav update is another failure on my part, but that is for another day.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Congratulations on your new to you goldwing from texas. I don't have a 2018, but I believe I read that you have to connect your phone with iplayer to your bike first, then your bluetooth. I'm sure someone will be in here shortly that will be able to help you better. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-S737TL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Make sure the bluetooth on you phone is OFF.
Turn ignition on.
Go to audio setting.
Go to Bluetooth setting.
Go to Rider HS pairing.
Click to ON.
Turn on headset.
Click Inquiry.
Put headset into pairing mode.
Watch for headset name to pop up at bottom of screen.
Click Abort.
Click on headset/connect.
Watch for the headset symbol #1 to appear on the top left screen and that confirms you are connected.
Repeat for passenger headset, and confirm headset #2 in upper screen corner.

If you want to use phone as CarPlay toggle past system information on the menu. It should show ipod or Apple CarPlay. Make sure CarPlay is selected.

Then, plug the iphone into the USB port, and CarPlay should connect automatically. It will not connect if your headset(s) are not paired and showing as such on the upper left screen.

Sequence is important. Good Luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Make sure the bluetooth on you phone is OFF.
Turn ignition on.
Go to audio setting.
Go to Bluetooth setting.
Go to Rider HS pairing.
Click to ON.
Turn on headset.
Click Inquiry.
Put headset into pairing mode.
Watch for headset name to pop up at bottom of screen.
Click Abort.
Click on headset/connect.
Watch for the headset symbol #1 to appear on the top left screen and that confirms you are connected.
Repeat for passenger headset, and confirm headset #2 in upper screen corner.

If you want to use phone as CarPlay toggle past system information on the menu. It should show ipod or Apple CarPlay. Make sure CarPlay is selected.

Then, plug the iphone into the USB port, and CarPlay should connect automatically. It will not connect if your headset(s) are not paired and showing as such on the upper left screen.

Sequence is important. Good Luck!
Thank you so much. Ill give it a try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
P.S. I hated this dance with my Sena units every time I started the bike. So much so that I switched to Cardo Packtalk Bold. Paired one time, and they come up every time with no hassle, no pairing dance.

Also, if the menu shows the units paired, but they don’t show up as icons in the upper left corner of the screen, try deleting the pairings and start over...

·
Registered
202 Posts
So when it's pairing you click "Abort" and it works?

No wonder people have a hard time...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P.S. I hated this dance with my Sena units every time I started the bike. So much so that I switched to Cardo Packtalk Bold. Paired one time, and they come up every time with no hassle, no pairing dance.

Also, if the menu shows the units paired, but they don’t show up as icons in the upper left corner of the screen, try deleting the pairings and start over...
Was tired last night..I’ll be following your instructions this morning. my helmets are paired with each other. If it doesn’t work that way, Ill un pair them and try again. Also no phone pairing like you said. Thanks again Easy, I sure hope this works.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a Sena unit and a 2019 Goldwing........try this.......turn your bike on......go to settings, bluetooth.....to rider pair......you can check and see that your headset is paired. it will not immediately give you sound......I will often turn the headset off and then back on, after riding a few minutes, and I will get sound. This is especially true for the first time you turn everything on, after that it usually connects right away.........we all thing that everything is instant.....this is not! be patient!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

OK, I followed your instructions to the T. In the background the srl shows up...I click about and I see the headset, but no area that says ”headset/connect”. If I click on the sena srl, it just says pairing unsuccessful. Do I go somewhere else to find the headset/connect option? Ive tried the sequence in accessory mode, ignition on, and bike running. Same results. I cant imagine anything in my garage is interfering with the pairing, but Ill move the bike outside and try that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a Sena unit and a 2019 Goldwing........try this.......turn your bike on......go to settings, bluetooth.....to rider pair......you can check and see that your headset is paired. it will not immediately give you sound......I will often turn the headset off and then back on, after riding a few minutes, and I will get sound. This is especially true for the first time you turn everything on, after that it usually connects right away.........we all thing that everything is instant.....this is not! be patient!
You are right, instinct does not work. This is day three of nothing but reading and trying...not much patients left. Where is “headset/connect” supposed to show up...I never get to see that option pop up?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry you are still having trouble. My Senas were a PITA to connect.

Once you can see the Sena device on the screen, press enter. It should bring up an option to “connect” or “Forget Device”. I would first forget the device, the go back to the connecting sequence. When you see your device, then enter, then enter on the Connect option. when it connects, you should see the headset icon in the upper left. If you do not see it, it is not connected.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In the picture above, mine shows headset 1&2 connected. The other headset icon just means you are toggled to headset output, rather than external speaker. Do not proceed to hooking up the iphone via USB until you see the headset 1 icon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are right, instinct does not work. This is day three of nothing but reading and trying...not much patients left. Where is “headset/connect” supposed to show up...I never get to see that option pop up?

OK I needed a stop watch. I was only holding down the srl pairing button about 11 seconds where I was getting a headset pairing prompt. Holding it another second gave me the configuring menus prompt. After that the pairing worked. I now have radio in head set, able to phone via the honda screen. seri on my iPhone is not working, not sure if it will...probable something else I need to do.
Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I would have be lost forever without it..great forum.
In the picture above, mine shows headset 1&2 connected. The other headset icon just means you are toggled to headset output, rather than external speaker. Do not proceed to hooking up the iphone via USB until you see the headset 1 icon.
Thanks Easy, you were a big help. Haven’t tried to hook up the second helmet yet, but I don’t think that will be a big deal. My problem turned out to be that I was only holding down the sena pairing button long enough (10 seconds or so), for the helmet to tell me it was pairing headsets...an extra second or two made the difference. It then went to configuring menu mode. Wow I must have made that same mistake 60 times.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, I will do that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The phone is paired to the bike by the USB connection in the top box. This is why the bluetooth on the phone must be turned off. The bike then acts as a hub between the phone, headsets, and other features.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The phone is paired to the bike by the USB connection in the top box. This is why the bluetooth on the phone must be turned off. The bike then acts as a hub between the phone, headsets, and other features.
Thanks again...you are the best.

·
Registered
143 Posts
WOW! Now that was sweet.. It great to hear others helping, I bet that you also helped many other folks as well (y)'s up to you..................

Ronnie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got my used (1,000 miles old) 2018 goldwing tour dct. I’m trying to pair my Sena srl 2 Bluetooth, with my bike. No soap...Ive tried a dozen different ways to get it done with zero success. Hondas site doesn’t work, sena site doesn’t work, none of the methods I found on the various web sites have worked. I can pair two helmets and my iPhone together; but with or without the phone paired, I cant get paired to the bike. Out of 30 or 40 try’s, Ive got the bike to see the srl three times, but pairing was never successful. Batteries are fully charged. I know I’m a bozo, but good lord, it shouldn’t be this difficult. If there is a winger out there with a doctorate in Bluetooth setup, I’m willing to grovel for a step by step. Downloading the latest nav update is another failure on my part, but that is for another day.
To use CarPlay, I discovered you must use an Apple certified cable or it won’t connect.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts