Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from my first trip on the 1500. Our 15th anniversary was this month, so I surprised my wife with a 4 day/1200 mile trip to the Parkway. We had done from Asheville to Cherokee in my truck before, but this was the first time on 2 wheels. Great trip! We always got up and on the road at sunrise, and it seemed that we almost had the road to ourselves for a few hours. Took plenty of time to stop at all the vistas we wanted and just enjoy it. Scenery was awesome in the morning with the "sea" of fog below us. Saw a LOT of wings and HD's, only a few sport bikes. Seemed bikes outnumbered cars as well. Only trouble came in the form of us rounding a blind left hand bend only to see a Jeep Wrangler in our lane driving with his left wheels off the road. There were 4 bicycles riding single file on his side white line and he way over compensated. Got on the binders and he had plenty of time to get out of the way. Anyway, she loved the trip as well. Probably helped that I took wine, and stopped and bought more at the Biltmore for the rest of the trip. Got to pre-planned hotels early enough to get dinner then relax in the pool/hot tub and have a few glasses then still get a good nights sleep. Will try to post a few pics, she snapped almost 100 from the back seat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
Thanks for the photos and report. Sounds like a great trip. Eric

·
Super Moderator
28,439 Posts
Nice report & pictures Gothmog. We are never bored with pictures.:D

You need to find what you consider the nicest & make that your Avatar.

Ride Safe.

·
Super Moderator
11,788 Posts
Thanks for taking us along! :)

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Great pics--there's one in particular where the mountains look like waves on the ocean. Looking forward to riding that area one day.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Great pics man. Looks like you had the place all to yourself:D

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Great Pics....I can't wait to make that trip myself!!

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Did the BRP twice and never get tired of the scenery. Would like to go in the fall sometime and check out the colors.Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At time it felt as though we had it to ourselves. Good idea on the avatar, I'll try to figure that out. Anyone who hasn't done this road but is wanting to, definately try to go from north to south, unless you're including skyline drive in VA. The best portion is from around 1-1.5 hours north of Asheville to Cherokee. The rest is good too, but seemed almost anti-climactic seeing the southern end first. Y'all gonna laugh, but with this being our first bike trip, I didn't know what to expect. Only had the trunk for our clothing, left saddlebag was full with her purse and toiletry bag, wine and glasses, and I had a 2 gallon and 1 gallon gas can filling the right side just in case. Was not needed, btw.

·
Registered
168 Posts
As the park way is close to us in Cayce SC , I have rode it many times at speed, however if you take your time and do a little walking and planning it is one of the very best vacations and one to remember. My wife and I did it in five days end to end , stopping a neat little motels along the way and just seeing all we missed at speed was awsome !

·
Registered
160 Posts
My daughter and I did part of the parkway two weeks ago, we went up to Boone to see App State college, took the wing. We rode over 100 miles of the parkway Monday afternoon and passed only two cars. That was ALL the traffic that we saw on the parkway. I know what you mean when you feel that you own it :)
The pictures are great, as you can see we all enjoy them.

Sounds like a great trip for you two.

·
Registered
27 Posts
blue ridge parkway vacation

We are going to ride the Dragon's Tail in Deal's Gap, then ride the Blue Ridge Parkway from hwy 441 to Roanoke Virginia from 9-24 to 9-30. We went by car a long time ago, but this is going to be a lot better. I'll post some photos when we get back.
Ride safe!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts