Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I ran the entire Blue Ridge Parkway last week, as much fun as the Tail of the Dragon IMO, less traffic to contend with and plenty of overlooks to pull off and take a break. We clocked 1636 miles in four days, picked up the parkway in Front Royal VA and finishing up near Cherokee, NC. I need to fill out the application for the End to Ender ride.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Thanks for visiting my state. I have been on the parkway from Front Royal to the Rt.211 intersection, but never beyond on a bike. I need to start behaving more like a tourist in my own state.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
I did all of Skyline drive and the BRP from mile marker 0 to about 250 last fall. Hope to get back and finish this fall. Great road and a great ride..

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't it always the case that we run off to see far away places and never explore our own backyard? We can't wait to get back down to Knoxville next year for Wing Ding.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Isn't it always the case that we run off to see far away places and never explore our own backyard? We can't wait to get back down to Knoxville next year for Wing Ding.
I'm working on the Wing Ding Thing next year myself. Haven't done any planning, just bringing it up to my co-pilot. We have a mutual acquaintance just outside Knoxville, so the accommodation are free.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We just got back from our BRP, Skyline Drive, Niagara Falls tour. We were gone 10 days and had a fabulous trip. We are talking of riding up to Little Switzerland for a weekend and ride the area.

·
Registered
449 Posts
My back-seater wants to go to WING DING next year. She's checking on motels right now.
We both are counting down to August 5th. Washington D.C. bound!!
You gotta love a women that can't wait to ride.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Blue Ridge Parkway...what highway or road is that.....I have never heard of it and are always looking for a new trip....really never been to the south-east states before....

Is that any where near the NC GWRRA rally in Sept....I might go to that rally just to ride and have a cause....

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, I just got back yesterday around 1pm from riding the BRP from Cherokee all the way to the north end and then riding Skyline Drive. I was on a Harley with my wife and it took us 5 days total to ride from the Raleigh area of NC out to Cherokee, then up BRP and Skyline, then back home. Clocked around 1,400 miles total for the trip. Beautiful ride, great time with my wife and friends. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Blue Ridge Parkway...what highway or road is that.....I have never heard of it and are always looking for a new trip....really never been to the south-east states before....

Is that any where near the NC GWRRA rally in Sept....I might go to that rally just to ride and have a cause....

Thanks
Wing Ding is in Knoxville, TN next year and the BRP ends at Cherokee which is East of there a ways. I would have to check the distance but it is not all that far. If you are going to do the BRP I would suggest you also take in Skyline Drive in VA. Check them out on the internet.

Jackson, WI to Front Royal, VA is 783 miles. Skyline Drive starts at Front Royal.

Just checked, it is 73 miles from Cherokee, NC to Knoxville, TN or a little over 2 hours riding.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The national park starts in Front Royal VA, about 25 miles south of Winchester VA and winds up and around the mountians to Waynesboro, 109 miles of the Shenandoah National Park, Cost is $10 for a motorcycle and it's good for 7 days. No stop signs, no traffic lights, 35 mph speed limit on smooth two lane. That dumps you right into the Blue Ridge Parkway, also known as Skyline Dr. 469 more miles of twists and turns, some right along the ridge top of the mountians heading through Lynchburg, Roanoke, Mt. Airy, Ashville and ending at Cherokee NC. Speed limit is mostly 45 mph and two lane blacktop. Sorry, one traffic light due to construction at a site of what looked like a rock slide. Log on to the Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation and you can pull up an an application to fill out and send in if you run an 'end to ender' (endtoender.com?) for a certificate and some other stuff.
When we finished up we headed into Gatlinburg for the night which is about 36 miles away, Pigeon Forge is just a few more miles away (6?). If you can ever get through the traffic, Knoxville if I can remember is maybe an hour away, which leaves so much to do at next years Wing Ding.
If you have a hard time locating the parkway, just look east of I-81 on a map.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would also suggest that during Wing Ding you plan to ride the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohalla Skyway.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
The blue ridge parkway is a two lane, winding road with no billboards, no trucks and the scenery is awesome. As stated before, there are places to stop and enjoy the view and restaurants along the way. You cross other highways if you are in need of franchise burger fix or the sound of a kid gettin' his a$$ beat in a Wal mart. Indeed a very relaxing ride. Our experience is that most of the traffic runs about 50 mph with occassional crotch rockets zipping by. All in all, a great ride. At another forum, they have an annual BRR run that lasts about a week. Have seen them come from AZ and N. Mexico. Most will do the dragon coming or going as it isn't far from the end of the parkway.

There are also walking trails where you can walk from NY to Gulf of Mexico if I remember right. A section of that is the Blue Ridge. If you google it, it will give you better info or maybe someone here knows more.

·
Registered
217 Posts
OK...Now I have to go south east and do the dragons tail, the BRP and the cheroke highway...my bucket list is getting longer...

Thanks everyone for the input...it is definitely something I am going to do....

Question...I was thinking about being a hard-core biker and go down to Thunder Beach Panama City Beach...at the end of Sept...but the dragons tail and BRP sounds more interesting....so I might change my plans....is the last week of Sept first week of Oct too late to do the dragons tail and BRP.....is there snow in the mountains at that time....?

Thanks and Safe Rides

·
Registered
129 Posts
OK...Now I have to go south east and do the dragons tail, the BRP and the cheroke highway...my bucket list is getting longer...

Thanks everyone for the input...it is definitely something I am going to do....

Question...I was thinking about being a hard-core biker and go down to Thunder Beach Panama City Beach...at the end of Sept...but the dragons tail and BRP sounds more interesting....so I might change my plans....is the last week of Sept first week of Oct too late to do the dragons tail and BRP.....is there snow in the mountains at that time....?

Thanks and Safe Rides
No problem. You might see some folks out leaf lookin in NC and TN.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Blue Ridge Pky and Skyline Drive

Just got back from a GREAT trip to the north east with my newly renovated 20 - 25 year old cycle mate trailer. Part one of the trip was riding solo from Tennessee to New Hampshire and mostly interstate. I had to get to Plymouth in time to teach a computer class. It was HOT to say the least! I did two 600 mile days followed by a 200 mile day and the trailer pulled great. I used a fish scale purchased from Wally World to keep the tongue weight at about 20 lbs and ran at 32 lbs tire pressure on the trailer. Picked up a nail in the rear bike tire (Goldwing 1800) on day 3 and had to replace it...ouch.
The wife flew in to Manchester airport on Friday the 23rd and we began our trip back to TN. Spent the first 2 days in NH visiting the White Mountains before we turned south. We travelled on the back roads mostly through NH, VT, MA, CT, NY, WV, MD and then picked up the Skyline Drive at Front Royal followed by the Blue Ridge Parkway through VA and NC. Once in TN we hit Pigeon Forge and then made our way home to Murfreesboro TN. Total trip back took 9 days and over 1700 miles. The Skyline Drive and the BRP are fabulous with the spped limits being 35 and 45 respectfully. Plenty of turnouts and places to stop and stretch the legs. There's some excellent cottages just off the parkway in Love, VA that I would recommend if your not solo. It's a bit pricey ($120) but well worth it. We had a unit with 2 rooms which included a fireplace and jacuzzi.
Total round trip was about 3100 miles. The weather cooperated more than I could have ever expected. We ran into some light rain once or twice and even rode into the clouds but we didn't get drenched until the last day in TN. We had about an hour of really heavy rain that kept us off the road but it lightened up soon and we were on our way again. I will also say that the temps were extremely mild all the way back and we were not bothered by the heat at all.
The trailer was full as I had to take dress clothes for the teaching gig otherwise we would have had plenty of room to spare. I think the next long trip will have some time factored in for a stop at a laundry so that we can travel lighter. By the time the trip was over we had a huge amount of dirty clothes!!
This was our first long distance trip so we were both a bit apprehensive but it worked out really well and it was all good. We road pretty much all day every day but with frequent and sometimes lengthy stops for meals, hikes, sightseeing and shopping. We stayed away from the chain resturants and focused on finding the new and unique.
Can't wait for the next ride!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just type in Blue Ridge Parkway and search . You will find plenty . Went 3 times this summer . From Little Switzerland to Mount Mitchel . From Asheville to Cherokee Nc Then across the Smokies. And last from Maggie Valley to some exit close to Henderson Nc .

Am leaving next Thursday to ride it again . Camping this time and traveling across Roan Mountain , getting on at Little Switzerland and traveling North to maby the end and back. Thursday Friday And Saturday .
Then on labor day we are going again North for a few days . Gonna do the Motel thing that time .
Just returned from West Va the past weekend 700 plus miles Then went to Pigeon Forge and sat in the traffic for 2 hours .

·
Registered
253 Posts
We just got back from a ride on the BRP. See the thread, "Thru the Midwest and East." We stayed at the Peaks of Otter Lodge.. No phones, no TV, no internet.. and it was awesome... We saw a lot of deer, and they have a Seafood Buffet on Friday Nights which includes a Lobster for each diner. Anyways, the parkway is beautiful, but the speed limit is 45. Kinda slow going, but it is worth it not to have the other cars, trucks, etc.... There is some construction for about 10 miles in Southern VA takes the SL down to 35, ugh.... At any rate, you will have a great ride there.:cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
You need to do Skyline drive in Va it is the last 130 or so miles , speedlimit is 35 on all of it . I don't mind the slower speed ther I go to look and enjoy . If I want speed I hit the snake or 321 to Boone Nc .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts