Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am leaving May 1st. to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway, south to north.
I need suggestions of what to see, where to stop-over (midway).
I would like any suggestions you have about the parkway.
I know to be prepared for all weather issues, and that's about all.

DATE TO LEAVE HAS CHANGED TO JUNE 5TH.
MY WIMPY GROUP DOESN'T LIKE THE CURRENT WEATHER CONDITIONS AND ( 4 ) ROAD CLOSINGS.

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
Ah yes, the beautiful BRP. I've traveled on it about 5 times and every time I'm amazed at the natural beauty on that road. Since you in TN, are you going to start at he bottom and work you way north?? I was down there in October and did North to South. In 2 days I got from home (NE, Pa) to mile marker 250 and had to get off and head back (only had 3 days). I'm planning on going back this year and finish from 250 to the end in NC. Give yourself enough time, since there is so much to see on the BRP, you won't make as many miles per day as you think. (stop off to take pics). There are a lot of towns along the Parkway to get off for gas and food. If you go to the BRP websit you can get detailed maps and lots of information on road conditions and places to stay overnight. Enjoy your trip and wish I was going with you...

Temps can be cooler on top of the mountains, so layer your clothing and you should be fine.

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
I may ride the southern portion of this also next month. A group of us are going to Maggie Valley the end of May. I was thinking of riding up into Virginia and camp one night. Just want to see what others have to say. Let us know how it goes G I.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Brp

I've been there but not on a bike. It is beautiful, every turn. It is patrolled so dont speed. You have to be careful not to over gawk. Early morning may well produce spectacular fog spilling into the valleys. There are bound to be deer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Speeds only 45 mph as i recall, and it takes a LONG time to cover the whole route because it's very circuitous, so keep that in mind if you're on a schedule.

Chris

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may ride the southern portion of this also next month. A group of us are going to Maggie Valley the end of May. I was thinking of riding up into Virginia and camp one night. Just want to see what others have to say. Let us know how it goes G I.
We leaving from south middle Tennessee and plan on spending the night in Maggie Valley. Hope you have a good trip.

·
Registered
23 Posts
blue ridge parkway

Just got back 2 weeks ago. It was the tail end of a 4800 run (no, in the car). came up from the Fl. Keys. Deal Gap was not yet reopened so most northern access was at Blowing Rock NC. nice little town with no national chain anything MM 290ish. Next overnite was on the BRP mm#90ish at Peaks of the Otter Lodge. Loved it no TV, no clock, no phone in room nor cell tower. No internet. Stayed 2 days and loved. The world could have ended and you wouldnt know.
Left there on Easter Sunday and then spent a few days at Monticello
BRP was heavily damaged from snow and ice. Thing should be in bloom by now. We loved it ENJOY Garmin or TomTom makes it all
easy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got back 2 weeks ago. It was the tail end of a 4800 run (no, in the car). came up from the Fl. Keys. Deal Gap was not yet reopened so most northern access was at Blowing Rock NC. nice little town with no national chain anything MM 290ish. Next overnite was on the BRP mm#90ish at Peaks of the Otter Lodge. Loved it no TV, no clock, no phone in room nor cell tower. No internet. Stayed 2 days and loved. The world could have ended and you wouldnt know.
Left there on Easter Sunday and then spent a few days at Monticello
BRP was heavily damaged from snow and ice. Thing should be in bloom by now. We loved it ENJOY Garmin or TomTom makes it all
easy
Thanks for the reply.
Looks like my wimmpy group of riders has decided to postpone the ride until June 5th. None of them have a GoldWing with heated seat and grips. (LOL)
I was a cruiser rider once, and I still don't have any sympathy for them.
They say the real reason is projected bad weather for next week, and the 4 detours on the map for closed road conditions!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Are you stopping at the Northern point of the BRPW or are you going to keep going on the Skyline Drive? I will be riding the Skyline Drive in early August with MMCI During out convention.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you stopping at the Northern point of the BRPW or are you going to keep going on the Skyline Drive? I will be riding the Skyline Drive in early August with MMCI During out convention.
we will probably continue on into Virginia, for a short way and return a different route to south middle Tennessee.
I don't have a clue about the return route, until I get there!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I just got back from riding the BRP

DATE TO LEAVE HAS CHANGED TO JUNE 5TH.
MY WIMPY GROUP DOESN'T LIKE THE CURRENT WEATHER CONDITIONS AND ( 4 ) ROAD CLOSINGS.
Just got home from riding the Blue Ridge Parkway. Great trip.
Left Winchester Tn on Sunday morning and rode to Cherokee NC.
got on the parkway at the finish and rode to the beginning, (south to north) The parkway takes two days and could have been longer. Lots to see and a wonderful ride.
Went to the Shenandoah Valley, cut across Virginia to Norfork and Virginia Beach. Continued down the coast stopped at Kiddy Hawk and saw the site of the first airplane flight.
Continued down the coast via the Outer Banks of NC, (great place to visit) including the two ferry rides needed to complete the trip.
Got to the South Carolina border and went west and north back to NC via Charlotte and back west/southwest to home via US 64/74 .
If you have never ridden the BRP or NC's Outerbank, you need to ride both. GREAT Motorcyle rides....

·
Super Moderator
28,444 Posts
Sounds like you had a great trip G I. Thanks for the info I'm sure it will help someone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts