Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 GL1800
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today that my gauges/tail lights were not working on my 2013 GL1800. I checked the fuse (20A) and it was blown. I replaced it and within seconds of switching the bike on, it blows again. I've added nothing new. I do not get sparks when I replace the fuse with the power off so I don't think I would have a direct short to ground. I am guessing a pinched wire. I was wondering if anyone has a general idea where I should start looking? Thanks.

Chris
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,999 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

I would start by looking at the bulbs themselves. There have been instances of bulbs shorting out.
 
  • Like
Reactions: V8chpr and Jinx

·
Registered
2014 GL1800
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First of all, welcome to the forum.

I would start by looking at the bulbs themselves. There have been instances of bulbs shorting out.
Thank you. I went through anything and everything I could trying to find a pinched wire or loose connection. I found nothing. I made sure any connector I could get to was secure. I pulled the rear lights and didn't see anything unusual. I wish I could say I found an obvious "ahaaaa". I replaced the fuse a 3rd time and tried again. It was good. After getting the power on, I did discover a blown rear tail light bulb. Maybe that was the culprit as you suggested! Thanks again.

Chris
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,999 Posts
It's a good possibility. Let us know if anything changes.
 
  • Like
Reactions: V8chpr

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
If it wasn't the bad bulb, there have been numerous reports of broken wires at the trunk lid hinge point. You will need to open up the harness jacket and carefully inspect the actual wires.
 
  • Like
Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
I've read quite a few times about the trunk hinge cutting into wires and causing problems. I have the 2005 and was worried about that problem showing up. So, I did an inspection and found no problem except the tape starting to unwind. I put a new piece of super sticky tape around that culprit. Then watched the interaction of the movement of the harness with the hinge. Watching the potential problem of pinched wires I decided to put an electrical tie around the harness and a point on the trunk itself. Then I tighten the tie just enough to pull the harness away from the hinge where it folds down. This works.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top