Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 82 GL1100 naked wing. recently i have been blowing the fuse . When I change it they work fine until I start the engine and then try them it blows the fuse again. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

With the engine off they work fine in both directions?

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

I hate these types of problems. I am sure someone will have a suggestion. I only offer moral support with no substance.

Welcome to the forum from Seattle!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes both signal lights and horn work if the engine is off. But as soon as I start it the fuse blows if I try them.

·
Super Moderator
28,437 Posts
KBL,

I'm wondering something? When you take the fuse out after it blows, is it just burnt or is it splashed (by that I mean it looks like an cartoon gunshot)?
The reason I ask that is if it is splashed that is a clear indication of a dead short. That is what I suspect is happening to you that there is a dead short through that circuit once it's enegized on startup. Sometimes a loose ground will cause a fuse to blow also, as well as a loose fuse holder. If you don't have a manual try to get one & follow the circuit to see how it runs. Remember a wiring scematic is really nothing but a road map, the cross connections are intersections, contacts/switches are only bridges.

I'm sure one of the wiring gurus will chime in with check relay 3 & etc etc etc. However hopefully this help in the meantime.

·
Super Moderator
28,437 Posts
I would check all the wiring connections of the circuit for loose connections & if there are relays in the circuit check the contacts if visible. It sounds as if that may be your issue. As always this is just One Ole Fossil's opinion.

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
Sounds like it could be a bad ground and is causing a weird feedback through the signals when there is alternator output.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your advice. After trial & error,6 more fuses it turned out the plastic covering the inside of the switch module?? had worn enough that it was shorting out on the handle bars. A small piece of electrical tape seemed to have solved the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts