Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a 01 1800, drove it to my shop after ridding it for about a week off and on in town. Went to go start it and put in the garage, turned key on and heard the sound of what i thought was a fuse blowing. I pushed into the garage and tore into it notice the main a 30 fuse was blown, along with 100 amp fuse was blown to.
Following day decided to put a new battery in beings the other one had some years on it. Replaced 100 amp fuse and 30 amp fuse checked all other fuses didn't see any blown. when i installed new 100 amp fuse i got some sparks the i started screwing it in. It didn't blow the fuse but it did spark As soon as i turn the key to the on position it blows the 30 amp main a fuse, 100 amp fuse does not blow. Tried putting one more 30 amp fuse in and immediately blows as soon as you turn key on. Was going to chase grounds today, seeing if anyone had any knowledge on this problem. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
First of all welcome to the forum.
It definitely sounds like a direct short to ground. I would check any aftermarket items that have been added to the bike first. If you don't find anything there, I would pull all the other fuses and see if the 30A still blows.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! So your saying pull all the other blade fuses and leave just the 30 amp main a fuse in? And try to turn the key on and see if it blows? If so where do I go from there?

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
If it still blows then, I would need to consult the manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pops the the 30 amp fuse with all the other blade fuses pulled as soon as you turn the key on

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
Ok, I'll need to find my manual. I'm thinking it may be a short in the alternator.

Reactions: MichaelB

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok let me know if there is anything you find is there anything I can do to test that? Or anything i can do period

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
I'll let you know what I find, but it will be later, as I need to get to work.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm interested in what you found (the problem) thanks for sharing, please let us all know............Thank you!

Ronnie

·
Registered
161 Posts
I got a 01 1800, drove it to my shop after ridding it for about a week off and on in town. Went to go start it and put in the garage, turned key on and heard the sound of what i thought was a fuse blowing. I pushed into the garage and tore into it notice the main a 30 fuse was blown, along with 100 amp fuse was blown to.
Following day decided to put a new battery in beings the other one had some years on it. Replaced 100 amp fuse and 30 amp fuse checked all other fuses didn't see any blown. when i installed new 100 amp fuse i got some sparks the i started screwing it in. It didn't blow the fuse but it did spark As soon as i turn the key to the on position it blows the 30 amp main a fuse, 100 amp fuse does not blow. Tried putting one more 30 amp fuse in and immediately blows as soon as you turn key on. Was going to chase grounds today, seeing if anyone had any knowledge on this problem. Thank you
Is this bike an ABS model? If so, there’s three 30A fuses. If it’s a non ABS bike, then is it blowing the 20A, Fan Fuse too? If not, then it’s one of three relays or the key switch itself. It will be either the Tail light relay, the Accessory relay, or the Horn/Turn relay. These relays are connected without any fuses on their coils. These relays are under the seat in the relay bank. By pulling all the other fuses, you have removed any other circuit load from the 30A fuse.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Is this bike an ABS model? If so, there’s three 30A fuses.
I believe he siad it was the 30 amp Main A fuse though he did not capitalize the A.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yea, I was thinking that’s what he meant, but I’ve learned a long time ago not to assume anything when troubleshooting on the web. :oops:
Yes, good point.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
161 Posts
The main wire for the alternator isn’t in the 30A fuse path, only the 100A fuse feeds it. Not sure why it would blow that once but not again. “C” & “D” below feed the fan fuse and more fuses that he already removed. That leaves just these relay coils and the key switch itself as possible shorts. Of course the wires are always a possibility, but hopefully not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My thinking that was, it blew the 100 amp once and the only thing on that fuse is the alternator. The 30 amp could be a spin off from the 100amp spike. I agree that everything in the 30 amp loop needs to be looked at. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts