Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, this is driving me nuts, (short trip). I have a 1991 GL1500 SE. Coming home the other day, the turn signals quit working, both left and right. Got home and sprayed some contact cleaner in the switch housing. Even in the hazard switch. They started working. The hazards not quite so well. Figured I was ok. Next day signals work fine until on the way home. Started out ok, but then nothing. Got home, pulled in garage and then they work. I got to the connector blocks on both sides and pulled them loose, but was having trouble trying to run on ohm test. Fought with connectors and got them back together. Hazards worked but no turn signals by themselves. Waited a bit as I was cleaning up and tried the signals again. They worked but no hazards. Seems like I can start out with them ok, then during ride they die. Possible loose wire somewhere, but why would they change when bike is just sitting still?
Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Harry Kelley

·
Registered
137 Posts
lets start out with the basics--- pull all of the switch connections and lightly sand them with emery or steel wool--- then reinstall them with dielectric grease-- do this on all the connectors and see if this helps-- if it does not start checking the connections on the relays--- repeat the process also on each relay check it for proper operation. If this does not work --- then we get into the harness (ugh) that is a whole new ball game and a lot of resistance checking

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean pull the handlebar switch apart? I did notice that when I had the connectors apart above the cooling fans, there was a lot of white grease, I am guessing dielectric on them. Should I spray these with contact cleaner and re-grease them if I need to get that deep? Should I spray cleaner on any connections I come across in the wiring itself?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do you mean pull the handlebar switch apart? I did notice that when I had the connectors apart above the cooling fans, there was a lot of white grease, I am guessing dielectric on them. Should I spray these with contact cleaner and re-grease them if I need to get that deep? Should I spray cleaner on any connections I come across in the wiring itself?
Spray cleaner is good for getting the grease and dirt off most of the times-- but to get rust and crosian (misspelled) off the tabs you need to use emery or steel wool -- and dont be afraid to use dielectric grease to seal everthing up away from the elements

1 - 4 of 4 Posts