Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you guys know I have a 94 Aspencade, I have air in the clutch line and need to bleed the clutch. Problem is where is the slave cylinder located? THe book tells me how to do it and what the bleed pipe is but not where it is located. It says something about taking the side cover off is it there. Thanks for any help.
Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
alright jimsimmons77, spill, I think i may have air in my clutch line.
I have a 91, aspy. Went for a ride yesterday and only had half clutch pull.
Went back to the garage, pulled cover off found it bone dry,added dot4 brake fluid, put the cap back on, seems to be working. New bike to me, would like to know how to bleed it if i need to. Thanks from socal

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey big154 what I did was took off 2 left covers that's where the slave cylinder I loated has a line coming off of it with a 8mm bleeder fitting on the end. Hook a clear hose 2 it make a loop in hose put other end in a container of dot 4 pump clutch handle with engadged loosen bleeder vaulve keep engaded till you retighten repeat a few times and then check resovor. I keep clutch ingaded when I filled it back up.oh yea keep loop and bottle of dot 4 above bleeder vaulve. It worked great 4 me and saved me 100 bucks. Good luck... Jim

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree 100%. Its the way the pros do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello guys, I've got a friend with a "new to him"84 1200 GW. Today we were riding and when he left the house his clutch was working fine. apx 10 miles into ride we stopped for a fill up and he noticed that he was having trouble getting bike into neutral. by the time we got back to the house he had no clutch at all. got the bike back safe but I'm ignorant of GW clutch system. has anyone had this problem? any help would be super. Thanks!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
In dealing with a hydraulic clutch, air in the system creates problems.
When was the last time the fluid was changed?
The system must be bled the same as brakes.
If the system is not showing signs of external leakage, it is internal at the slave cylinder and it is going into the engine. Signs here are changes in oil level in reservoir and engine oil.
Refill the system, purge the air out and watch the fluid level.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
There is a lazy mans way to bleed the clutch and brake. Not the recommended way but it works.
Hand brake= Pump it up till it feels solid then tie it back, leave it set over night.
Foot Brake= pump it up it feels solid and hang a gallon mmilk jug full of water off the pedal, let it set over night.
Clutch= is abit more in volved. Find a small piece of wood about 3/4 inch thick or a roll of electrical tape for a spacer. Pump the clutch a few time. Put the spacer between the lever and grip and squeeze the lever against the spacer and tie it in place. Let it set over night.
Before you start and after your done check the fluids.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
145 Posts
Goldwing Maintenance

I just bled the brakes and clutch and replaced the fluids on my 02 GL1800, Cleaned the K&N air filter, changed all the fluids: oil, coolant, final drive & fork oil. Installing new tires, (Avon Cobra's), new brake pads, new plugs, & a progressive rear shock and spring, & and I have to adjust the steering head bearings. (All Balls Tapered). I hope to be done next week......Leaving in July for a major trip.:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
In dealing with a hydraulic clutch, air in the system creates problems.
When was the last time the fluid was changed?
The system must be bled the same as brakes.
If the system is not showing signs of external leakage, it is internal at the slave cylinder and it is going into the engine. Signs here are changes in oil level in reservoir and engine oil.
Refill the system, purge the air out and watch the fluid level.
Hey thanks a bunch, I bled my friend's clutch yesterday and replaced all the old fluid with new. took about 1/2 an hour to get all the air out with the clutch lever (no special tools) but it finally got a steady stream and the clutch is working fine. TIP for anyone that don't know where to bleed the clutch line there's a bleeder valve (8mm) on the very rear of the motor of the bike. it's located on the side of the slave cylinder you have to get under the bike to see it. Bleeder valve is on the left side on the 84 GW 1200. Good luck and happy trails!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts