Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want two blank keys for my Wing. I went to Ace Hardware and took in my key. Asked the clerk to make me two keys. He did. Neither one worked. Went to a REAL lock and key store and gave my key to the clerk. He looked at it and said he never saw a key like that before. I told him it was from a 2010 Honda Gold Wing Motorcycle. He goes and digs out a book and says he doesn't have a key blank like that.

So. I call my Honda Dealer. He tells me to call this other lock smith and he will have the blanks.

I go see him. Take in my original key and tell him I want two keys made. He looks on the rack and says he doesn't have them.

I call my Honda dealer back. He has them...... $19.95 EACH and I still have to go to a lock smith to get them cut.

Someone, anyone out there in Wing LAND, tell me there are blanks that don't cost 19 .95friggin dollars a blank! This is not a chipped key either. It's just a regular stock key.

Somewhere on this site, another rider managed to get two blanks, cut them down and put matching radio knobs on them. He uses them for his gas tank as well as the right side side pocket. I am most annoyed that I have to remove my ignition key to put gas in my bike and even more annoyed that I have to shut my bike OFF to open the right side pocket.

If anyone out there knows where to get two blanks that will fit a 2010 Wing, PLEASE email me back.

Thank you!

Locknut from California.

aka.... Ted:(:(

·
Registered
306 Posts
A local locksmith had the actual GW key for about $8 including the cut. Dealer is a rip off, he told me only a dealer can get them. I have 4 keys now, 3 GW and one of the silver ones.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Wingstuff sells blanks...Lock smith cuts em..Sorry dont member what I paid

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2010 Gold Wing Key blanks

Thank each of you for your help with my blank key issue for my 2010 Wing. I DID go to WalMart and the #27 key was just the ticket. I am using these blanks to make the cap keys for my fule lock and the right side pocket. (Radio knobs modified for the key)

I used a Dremel to cut a notch in the radio cap, used the JB Epoxy and am waiting for the stuff to set up.

I just knew there had to be a better way and that SOMEBODY had blank keys out there. I'd post pictures of my efforts but haven't figured it out to get it from my IPhone to this site.

I'll get some 5th grader to show me how! Yeah, I know.....

Thanks again for the help
Locknut
Ted

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
what I do with pics on my i-phone is e-mail them to myself, and then save them in my pictures. Can upload them from there. watch your file size though, they can be hard to send if they're too big.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Very cool Jim!:cool:

·
Premium Member
6,720 Posts
I like it! Very nice!

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Thanks for the info on the keys. A "key" (yall see what I did there lol)element left out is the person at Wally World has to have enough sense to actually cut the key. She said she had to know what the key was for. She couldnt cut it without knowing what it was for. I said you have the blank,dont worry be happy. The local lock smith was good enough to do it. It works as advertised....Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great idea and it looks great. But doesn't it leave you wondering if someone will come by and take that key and drive your bike away. Does the key work the iginition? Or is it only long enough to work the lock.

sgt3419
PPD

·
Premium Member
6,720 Posts
Great idea and it looks great. But doesn't it leave you wondering if someone will come by and take that key and drive your bike away. Does the key work the iginition? Or is it only long enough to work the lock.

sgt3419
PPD
The key will work the ignition until you mount it to the knob. Then it is too short to turn the ignition. I just did mine & I'm very happy!

Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.