Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I will give you a little back ground for my reason for the ride. It is a ride to raise money and awareness to depression and bipolar. I have seen close hand the effects of this illness and it's effect. Starting with my father who was in the WW11 Australian Airforce. He couldn't tell me about it even when I was an adult and took it with him.
My brother inlaw had his wife take her life at the age of 30. And left him with a young daughter to protect and bring up. Neither have ever fully got over it and may never fully get over it.
Our next door neighbour had their daughter take her life and it still breaks their hearts. Every birthday, every Christmas. It's brought home to them, and they are left trying to cope.
The ride has been in the pipeline for a long time and now is going ahead. As with any event it takes a lot to get something like this off the ground.
The ride will involve riders from all states in Australia. [ Remember the number of rider in Australia is small.] As of today we have 150 bikes and we would like to have 300 bikes. The more bikes we get, the better coverage we will get in the papers and TV
The ride for me will start in Adelaide on Wednesday 24th August and will end in the middle of Australia on Sunday 28th.
Thanks for taking the time to read such a long post and later I will take you on the ride with photos. Eric

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
You are of outstanding character mate. I hope the ride is a succes. Only wish we could be there with you.

Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
150 is a great start for a great cause. Very noble to take the time. I hope you all are safe and have a terrific time.

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
Hope you get lots of support. Good cause. I'll ride along over here.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Have a safe trip for a good cause. Ride safe..

·
Premium Member
11,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for your support. The riders from Adelaide is 35. And the bike from the West and the East will meet us at Port Augusta and at the moment that is 100. Port Augusta to Alice Springs we will have 135 bikes. The rest are from the North and will meet at Alice Springs to ride out to Glen Helen. We will all break up at Glen Helen and make our own way home. The photos will be great outback scenes. The police are going to lead us out of Alice Springs. I will take the lap top and will be able to post an report from Alice Springs. Eric

·
Premium Member
11,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to take a different route back from Glen Helen because my wife can now come with me and the road was described as: badly corrugated with bull dust and sandy sections. The road if I can call it that is called the [mereenie loop] and the dirt section is 120 miles. It is good to have Vanessa along but I can't do that to her. Eric

·
Premium Member
11,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on black dog ride

A bit of an update. We now have 175 bikes on the ride. I have been busy raising money to put to the research into Depression. I didn't know what to do to raise money and I deceided that good food always sells. So I have being making home made pasties, sausage rolls, apple pies. We will take you with us deep into the outback on this ride. It's only 3 weeks away now. Eric

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
So I have being making home made pasties, sausage rolls, apple pies. We will take you with us deep into the outback on this ride. It's only 3 weeks away now. Eric
THOSE ought to sell! :eek: :eek: :D

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
is the group set up as a non profit? if so set up a paypal account so some of us can donate

·
Premium Member
11,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is the group set up as a non profit? if so set up a paypal account so some of us can donate
The motorcycle club that I am in have taken up this cause and have now a yearly event and try to promote the awareness. Now this is the dreamer part of Eric. My next aim was going to be to join an existing USA motorcycle club and start a blackdog ride in the USA. and I would like to come back over to join in on the first ride. I have personal reasons to try and get more research and help for people with mental health issue. The numbers of people suffering is almost hard to take in. Anyway this is tha address where you can donate. www.blackdogride.com.au/view/donate/
Thanks for careing enough to want to donate. Eric

·
Premium Member
11,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bless you Eric. Depression took my sister from us years ago and I see it in my only begotten son Andrew.
Chopin114: I will take the memory of your sister with me. I was looking at my neice last week and she looks so much like her mom. She has had a hard time given to her though out her schooling years. She has been studing hard to try and get into the mental health as a doctor. Hope she makes it. Eric

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good luck on your ride. I am aware of the problems and consequences of both depression and bipolor disorder. I was a psych nurse for 13 years in the acute care units of hospitals and have seen first hand what can happen to people and those close to them. Hope you have great success. If I was there, would be making the ride.

·
Premium Member
11,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok all my USA mate, time to pack and come into the outback with me. I have the bike back together and ready to roll by 3pm. I had a couple of daylight hour left, so I don't know what all the panic was about.
I have a little black dog to mount on the tank and the memory of those that struggled with depression. He will travel with us and if nothing else it may get people talking about it.
So for you guys, I will be leaving at about 8pm. Climb aboard and lets go. Eric

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ok all my USA mate, time to pack and come into the outback with me. I have the bike back together and ready to roll by 3pm. I had a couple of daylight hour left, so I don't know what all the panic was about.
I have a little black dog to mount on the tank and the memory of those that struggled with depression. He will travel with us and if nothing else it may get people talking about it.
So for you guys, I will be leaving at about 8pm. Climb aboard and lets go. Eric
Good luck and git r dun.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Sorry Eric homemade pasties I'm sure this is a typo or are the wingers down under more like the harley gang here in the states?

Again sorry Eric i just couldn't pass that one up!!

·
Premium Member
11,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry Eric homemade pasties I'm sure this is a typo or are the wingers down under more like the harley gang here in the states?

Again sorry Eric i just couldn't pass that one up!!
I think you guys have something called pockets that is simular. A pastie is pastry fill with carrot, potato, pumkin, onion, sweet potato, flavors and a small amount of meat. If I remember before I leave in the rush I will give you a photo. Eric

1 - 20 of 82 Posts