Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I have a couple of things to say and get out of the way. Business first: for all you folks with a Zumo GPS can you send/post a pic so I can see how it looks on your handle bars. I am a bit concerned for a couple of reasons. 1 I have an air bag and 2 Clutter, I dont care for it. I would love to see how it looks. THANKS THANKS THANKS!!
Now for some B%*#hin. As you can see I have a 2008 airbag with the GPS. I wanted to go to a address on South English Station Road today. So as I fumble through the process in the parking lot. I could not type in a road/word that was "ENGLISH" (that is the name). I would get E,N and then the "G" would disappear making it impossible to type the name ENGLISH! WTF???? I am already not real happy (as many others agree) with the GPS (hence looking at ZUMO) and I get this. I will be the first to admit that I am not very tech savvy and it could be user error but I actually think this time I am right (dont happen much). I plan on trying it again after lunch.
Next and WOW what fun this is....I have a buddy who bought a CBR600RR in Jan (his FIRST BIKE) and I have been ridding a bit with him. I am here to tell you that thing is faster than greased cat struck by lighting on a linoleum floor. He is a beginner and he can flat run off and leave me doing roll on say from 60 to 80. Of course 1/2 the weight and same HP no wonder but WOW. Now here is the fun part. I am not really into ridding other folks bikes (just to personal) but I really wanted to ride this thing so I ask. He was nice and tossed me the keys. Wanna say that NO WAY would I own one. My feet were up under my butt and back was all messed up. It felt like a toy, a REALLY FAST toy. I could have raised the front end pretty much at will. I only rode it a 1/2 mile or less and said, thanks I love the look but Im glad this is yours not mine.
Ok I can shut up now and wait for the pics..Yall ride safe :D

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
do you have to have a zumo? i carry my magellin ( $100 ) and a ziploc bag but the magellin is water resistant so i've never used the baggie

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you have to have a zumo? i carry my magellin ( $100 ) and a ziploc bag but the magellin is water resistant so i've never used the baggie
No sir, no Zumo. Where do you carry the magellin? I used to have a tank bag on my 1200 but now I have a "airbag" and well :rolleyes:. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,713 Posts
I'm with Dedrbuzzard....The Zumo is a bit over priced IMHO. I also have Navi on my Wing but use a Garmin Nuvi suctioned cupped to the wind screen for directions & the bike's navi for up-coming streets. I use a ziploc bag as well when it rains. Been doing it this way for 3 years no problems.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm with Dedrbuzzard....The Zumo is a bit over priced IMHO. I also have Navi on my Wing but use a Garmin Nuvi suctioned cupped to the wind screen for directions & the bike's navi for up-coming streets. I use a ziploc bag as well when it rains. Been doing it this way for 3 years no problems.

Mark
Can I save rides,(on the Nuvi)send them to friends, and print out a map of the ride? Other words interface with the PC. I agree thousand percent ZUMO is WAY up there on price. That is why I am being so picky. I was at the running store this morning to see if I could wear a GPS watch and make it work. Sad to say it would not be worth the hassle (battery life and system just not really good with what I want). Thanks for the ideas keep em coming.

·
Premium Member
6,713 Posts
Can I save rides,send them to friends, and print out a map of the ride? Other words interface with the PC. I agree thousand percent ZUMO is WAY up there on price. That is why I am being so picky. I was at the running store this morning to see if I could wear a GPS watch and make it work. Sad to say it would not be worth the hassle (battery life and system just not really good with what I want). Thanks for the ideas keep em coming.
Yes you can with the Nuvi....I have the 760 model....it also has blue tooth for the phone & a place for sd card to play music. I used to hook it up to the Wing for the music....now I have XM. I have never uploaded maps to it, but you definitly can. You can get Refurb ones cheap with the same Garmin warranty as new. Mine is a refurb got it on ebay.

I'm sure there are newer & better models out there. I'd look around & get what works for you!

mark

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Been up and down English station road a lot and I think even a good GPS would have problems finding some of the addresses on that road. And at the rate they keep adding roads around here up dates are hard to come by. Good Luck . Hal

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
Yes you can with the Nuvi....I have the 760 model....it also has blue tooth for the phone & a place for sd card to play music. I used to hook it up to the Wing for the music....now I have XM. I have never uploaded maps to it, but you definitly can. You can get Refurb ones cheap with the same Garmin warranty as new. Mine is a refurb got it on ebay.

I'm sure there are newer & better models out there. I'd look around & get what works for you!

mark
I had the Garmin 760 model as well.... until I lost it. I bought mine referbed too and got a square trade warranty for an additional 2 years. After I lost it I bought another Garmin Nuvi with lifetime map updates. The plastic freezer bag trick works for me as well. I like the freezer zip lock bags since they are made of thicker material.

·
Premium Member
6,713 Posts
I had the Garmin 760 model as well.... until I lost it. I bought mine referbed too and got a square trade warranty for an additional 2 years. After I lost it I bought another Garmin Nuvi with lifetime map updates. The plastic freezer bag trick works for me as well. I like the freezer zip lock bags since they are made of thicker material.
Hey Charlie,

Did you check the last place you had it??? LOL!!!

Mark

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
FYI, Ram makes a mount for the Nuvi series. GPScity.com has every ram mount made and I've done lots of business with them and its always been positive.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
Hey Charlie,

Did you check the last place you had it??? LOL!!!

Mark
I thought I did, but I must have forgotten the last place I had it...:confused: It's been driving me crazy because I don't think it was stolen, just misplaced. We were in the middle of a big kitchen remodeling job here at the house and I have a feeling it got tossed out somehow... I do miss it though. I liked the bluetooth sync with my phone.

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,713 Posts
I thought I did, but I must have forgotten the last place I had it...:confused: It's been driving me crazy because I don't think it was stolen, just misplaced. We were in the middle of a big kitchen remodeling job here at the house and I have a feeling it got tossed out somehow... I do miss it though. I liked the bluetooth sync with my phone.
Don't feel bad Charlie, two weeks ago or was it three:confused: I had gotten a prescription for my sinus infection/bronchitis......Well it was take one every 12 hrs....so with my schedule I had to take them to work with me. I lost them as well....I took them out to the garage with my cooler & lunch stuff....and next thing ya know *poof* gone! My wife makes fun of me all the time. I'm thinking of getting a chip put in my neck so if I get lost the wife can find me. (if she still wants too)! LOL!

Mark

1 - 20 of 20 Posts