Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was my birthday so We rode up to Mannum for dinner and the night. Mannum was named by the local Aboriginal Tribe for the ducks living on the river.... Mannum is found on the River Murray... also Adelaide's main source of water. We rode through the hills on a very twisty, winding road, working our way through very tiny towns in hidden valleys to Mannum. There is still some lovely autumn colours in the hills so thought I would share these few photos with you.... Eric

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where ever there is water in Australia there are lots of bird life and Mannum is no different. There is hundreds of Corella's, Piping Shrike and Pelicans. The Corella's are a noisy lot in the evening and in the morning. They celebrate the day of feasting and an hour before sun up they start celebrating the new day. What a lovely way to wake up. Here is my attempt to show off our bird life. [Fethered type] Eric

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Eric good bday & pictures. Your pics kind of look like Pa. in the fall.

Hey Maestro did you notice Eric's two toned Crow?

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Happy belated birthday Eric. Great pics. Looks like you had a good time. Seems strange to see fall coming when we are just starting the riding season up here. Ride safe and many more happy bdays..

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Should be a nice day for it. Have fun be safe. We're supposed to get some rain in late afternoon.

Back to you Eric sorry for the slight detour,. We were admiring your very Formal looking Magpie.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments guys. The magpie is on our state flag. We call it a piping shrike. It is larger than a magpie but is from the same family. It makes a warble sound. A very gutsy lovely bird. With all of the birds getting up a hour before sunrise, I got up to get some sunrise photos on the river. Eric

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mannum early history was the river. It was where the river boats were built and worked. Wood cutters supplied the wood for the steam paddlers, it was the tranport system. Now you can set me straight if I am wrong. But it was one place in the world where there was a milk boat that would collect the milk and take it by the river to the processor. This is one of the only place I know of where the shearers had a cottage for shearers. So we have a paddle steamer, a shearer cottage, a institute, a bank, and the church. Most of these building were built in 1880's. Eric

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
A Happy Birthday to you! Looks like an interesting area. Love the trees and birds. Thanks for the tour.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Happy belated birthday Eric, it's nice to see a little part of your world. Those birds are amazing....Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Happy Belated birthday Eric. Sounds like you had a great one. My GWRR Club shipped their bikes over to Australia probably 12 to 15 years ago and had a great time with the exception of one fatality, when a DUI hit three bikes. The police officer said that driver would likely not see daylight again. Many happy returns, my friend.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone, I had a great birthday. I could only spare the one night away. We had 40mph winds on the way home and the bike handled it well. Eric

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Great pic's Eric always a nice time to ride in the fall. What are your winter's like, can you still ride.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It gets a bit cold in our part of the world but none of that white stuff. So we can ride all year and you are very unlucky if you get a day where it's wet the whole day. Eric

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Sounds like my kind of place where you can ride all year long.

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
Sounds like my kind of place where you can ride all year long.
Just move down to the lower part of the "sweat belt" like I did. We get the occasional snow but it is almost always gone the same day. I lived on the coast for 22 years and it only snowed four times. Now I live "way up north" (according to the wife) in the middle of the state and got four snow days last winter. One of those I drove to work because it wasn't bad, just icey bridges. (Not on the bike) I was the only one there.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
The wife would like to head south but I still have at least 5 more years till I can think about retiring. It seems like the winters get longer every year

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
It seems like the winters get longer every year
Blasted, lousy, rotten Groundhog.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts