Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this idea to head to mazatlan or puerta valarta ;mexico; on my bike . Has anyone ever gone down there on their bike . I'd be by myself. would u consider it safe , with all the drug problems with the drug cartels etc. , u hear about going on now , near the U.S. / mexican border?

·
Super Moderator
28,431 Posts
Wow dean, I here you it probably would be a fantastic ride but I can tell you that I don't have the %^*&@ to do it. Too many places to ride in the States to take the chance on that, considering the steaming pot that is going down on the border for me.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
if your bike is stolen there is no way to recover it and you should check with your insurance company before you leave to make sure that you are covered

·
Registered
60 Posts
I live near the border and I will not go over. The gangs from Mexico City have expanded to the border towns and have made it to dangerous. Have friends that go over daylight hrs only. Don't go by yourself--is my advice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i live near the border too and i used to travel south of border often, but now i'd only ask one question are you fu#&king crazy?

·
Registered
3 Posts
We had a worderfull w/e , visited El Fuerte, had a inexpensive hotel in the centro with nice meals at local restaurants. All in All, most enjoyable & very nice people. I think once you get away from the border towns, its no worse than any other US neighborhood... maybe better. I intend to go to Alamos in the near future...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
stay on the main highways

this is dean again; i kinda thought that if a guy stayed on the main trucking routes at least until he got further south around the main resorts, like mazatlan, or puerta valarta, he'd be ok. I may be nieve, about the dangers etc, but I was really looking for a warmspot(70-90deg f) , to get away from a canadian winter. I know a lot of canadians head to texas, but i've heard the temps in jan.-feb, can not be exactly sun weather, ok for golfing, but not exactly pool weather. I fly down usually to mexico to a resort, but I thought biking it down there , from texas ( see my earlier post) would be great . Maybe I'm just a dreamer? If I do drive down to mexico, I'll give u all my name so u can take life insurance policies, out on me, so if something unfortunate was to happen to me down there, u'll all be rich enough to buy brand new GW's. Kidding; have a good day eh!

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
canadian and us trucking companys will not go into mexico because if a truck is stolen and recovered there are no laws that get the company their truck back. when i did otr truck driving the closest we came to mexico was laredo, tx

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Truck Driver ...

canadian and us trucking companys will not go into mexico because if a truck is stolen and recovered there are no laws that get the company their truck back. when i did otr truck driving the closest we came to mexico was laredo, tx
... NOW WE KNOW DR. BUZZARD TRUCK DRIVER ... WHAT AM I SAYING NOT ONLY DID I TOO DRIVE THEM BUT I OWNED A HERD OF TRUCKS ... SOLD THE LAST ONE IN 03 WAS A GOOD DAY ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
use to be a truck driver, had six of my own when i hired in at ford as a truck driver. sold my last one in the spring of '98. now days i'm over at ford whq garage

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cdn & Us truck drivers do not go to Mx because they are not allowed !!! I enjoy driving in Mx ... no problem. Get insurance ... its mandatory & if you are going further than Guaymas, you need a 'All Mex' temp importation permit ($31. for a bike).

Enjoy

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Dean - My brother and a Buddy of his go down to Mexico every spring. He picks up his guns as soon as he crosses the border and all is fine. He has only been shot at twice. This is the story he tells us but he is a big "Bull **" He obviously has no problems because he keeps going back. He doesn't have to worry about getting his bike stolen becasue he drives a Harley. Me, I would not think about going until I have visited all the other beautiful places in Canada and the States.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in Mexico hence my name and certain parts are very beautiful and very dangerous. Always drive with as many people as possible. And watch out I have seen pedestrians and motocycles hit by crazy drivers down here.
Don't believe everything you read in the media they only glorify the violence.

Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Get some insurance to cover your bike.
Don't eat or drink anything that wasn't in a sealed container.
Watch your back, best have someone with you for that.
Ask yourself why?........Mexicans don't stay in Mexico!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I went several years back with about 20 other bikes, we bought Mexican insurance just before we crossed the border. I wouldn't go today, not with the way thing are down there and besides, there are to many great places to see here in the good old USA. We went to Rosa Rita beach for lobster and shopping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Joe, Rosarito is a ghost town now many nice shops and restaurants have closed down. Your lucky to see a dozen tourists at any given time. Years ago you couldnt walk down the streets now it is empty.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts