Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a great time today... Rode with my girl from Jacksonville to Daytona Beach for my first Biketoberfest. Spectacular day and met up with some new friends to see the sights.

The only thing...

What in the wide, wide world of sports is it about Harley riders and the godforsaken noise their bikes put out? Are they compensating for some other limitation they or their bikes have? It was incredibly annoying to be in traffic with 2, 3, 4, 700 of those things and have to listen to what is nothing more than putt, putt, putt... At about 117 decibels.

As my FIL says about our Goldwings, we don't need to make a lot of noise. We attract attention through artistry.

Just sayin'

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Yeah they just like to make noise. They will not ride too far on theirs though. that is why you see a lot of them on trailers.

There is a bike fest here next weekend. It will be mostly HD's all around town. I WILL NOT be attending but I will be out riding quietly....LOL.

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
I've been listening to the sounds of Biketoberfest on Nova Road and drifting from US1.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I always went up on the Harley. Went up this year first time on the wing. I enjoyed the ride a little more and really looked at all the Harley Culture. I was never into the whole dress myself as a walking Harley billboard. A lot of money for all that. I just had to turn the music up a little more to help drown out the loud pipes

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
It's not about power it's about the intagible essence of the HD. I tried it and it didn't really work for me, but I had the pipes. I had open pipes on the Vulcan too, but I had major performance mods on it to go along with the sound. And it still wouldn't keep up with my Wing;) Now if I get a "jones" for power I have the RC51 to play with:cool: That's a vee motor with some real oomph.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
12,268 Posts
If it isn't deafening, it isn't a Harley.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Stock HD's sound great , it's those darn loud after market pipes folks seem to like , I was there long ago now that I am a big boy loud pipes are history.

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
The only Harley Davidson bikes that don't make a loud racket are the Big Electra-glide models, they're normally owned by the over 50 crowd.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We were there too. Had a great time. The noise is annoying but you have to expect that when you go to almost any bikefest. Out on the road doesn't bother me as much as at the exhaust pipe vendors when they are revving it up to see how loud the pipes get. Regardless, we had a great week riding up and down Florida. Went all back roads til it was time to come home. My wing ran great but my wife's Harley had to have the check valve assembly in the gas tank replaced when we got there. They repaired it right away. The service we received at Rossmeier's was fantastic.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Had a great time today... Rode with my girl from Jacksonville to Daytona Beach for my first Biketoberfest. Spectacular day and met up with some new friends to see the sights.

The only thing...

What in the wide, wide world of sports is it about Harley riders and the godforsaken noise their bikes put out? Are they compensating for some other limitation they or their bikes have? It was incredibly annoying to be in traffic with 2, 3, 4, 700 of those things and have to listen to what is nothing more than putt, putt, putt... At about 117 decibels.

As my FIL says about our Goldwings, we don't need to make a lot of noise. We attract attention through artistry.

Just sayin'
I was recently at a bike rally in Granbury, Texas, mostly Harley's in attendance of course but my question is why is it that Harley riders have to constantly blip their throttles to make the unbelievably loud noise even worse????? I was standing right next to several others and could not even hear what anyone was talking about because of all of the throttle blipping by the Harley guys......guess they think that makes them cool!!???:confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts